A Benchmarking Analysis of Spanish Commercial Airports. A Comparison Between SMOP and DEA Ranking Methods
In this paper we use the flexibility of Surface Measure of Overall Performance (SMOP) and Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) ranking methods to analyze the relative performance of each individual Spanish airport, and to fully rank both efficient, as well as inefficient airports. Most airports have previously compared their efficiency according to the results of some partial productivity ratios. However, this approach does not provide a good understanding of the overall performance of the airports. For this reason, we use six different ranking approaches in order to fully rank the performance of Spanish airports. The first and second approaches are based on the SMOP obtained by nine complementary partial performance indicators. The third approach involves the evaluation of a cross-efficiency matrix, in which airports are evaluated according to its weights and their rivals' weights. The fourth and fifth approaches rank the airports' performance through the exclusion of the airport being analyzed, and are known as super-efficiency models in the DEA parlance. And finally the sixth approach is based on the analysis of the virtual airport and the comparison of the rest of the airports with this “champion performer”. Finally, in this paper, we try to fill the gap between the performance based on the partial productivity indicators and the proposed ranking methods. To this purpose, we calculate non-parametric statistical tests to verify the consistency between the ranking obtained from each method. Copyright Springer Science + Business Media, LLC 2006
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adler, Nicole & Friedman, Lea & Sinuany-Stern, Zilla, 2002. "Review of ranking methods in the data envelopment analysis context," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 249-265, July.
- Bogetoft, Peter & Hougaard, Jens Leth, 2000.
"Super Efficiency Evaluations Based on Potential Slack,"
Unit of Economics Working papers
24194, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Food and Resource Economic Institute.
- Bogetoft, Peter & Leth Hougaard, Jens, 2004. "Super efficiency evaluations based on potential slack," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 152(1), pages 14-21, January.
- Malcolm Abbott & Su Wu, 2002. "Total Factor Productivity and Efficiency of Australian Airports," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 35(3), pages 244-260.
- Peter Bogetoft, 2000. "DEA and Activity Planning under Asymmetric Information," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 7-48, January.
- Seiford, Lawrence M. & Zhu, Joe, 1998. "Stability regions for maintaining efficiency in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 127-139, July.
- Per Andersen & Niels Christian Petersen, 1993. "A Procedure for Ranking Efficient Units in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(10), pages 1261-1264, October.
- Bazargan, Massoud & Vasigh, Bijan, 2003. "Size versus efficiency: a case study of US commercial airports," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 187-193.
- Bogetoft, Peter, 1995. "Incentives and productivity measurements," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 67-77, April.
- Zhu, Joe, 1996. "Robustness of the efficient DMUs in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 90(3), pages 451-460, May.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Wilson, Paul W, 1993. "Detecting Outliers in Deterministic Nonparametric Frontier Models with Multiple Outputs," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(3), pages 319-23, July.
- Oum, Tae Hoon & Yu, Chunyan & Fu, Xiaowen, 2003. "A comparative analysis of productivity performance of the world's major airports: summary report of the ATRS global airport benchmarking research reportâ€”2002," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(5), pages 285-297.
- Baltagi, Badi H & Griffin, James M & Rich, Daniel P, 1995. "Airline Deregulation: The Cost Pieces of the Puzzle," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 36(1), pages 245-60, February.
- Francis, Graham & Humphreys, Ian & Fry, Jackie, 2002. "The benchmarking of airport performance," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 239-247.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:netspa:v:6:y:2006:i:2:p:111-134. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.