Incorporating quality into the measurement of hospital efficiency: a double DEA approach
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- B. Hollingsworth & P. Smith, 2003. "Use of ratios in data envelopment analysis," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(11), pages 733-735.
- Bruce Hollingsworth, 2008. "The measurement of efficiency and productivity of health care delivery," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(10), pages 1107-1128.
- Ole Olesen & Niels Petersen, 2002. "The Use of Data Envelopment Analysis with Probabilistic Assurance Regions for Measuring Hospital Efficiency," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 83-109, January.
- Thomasson, Melissa A., 2002. "From Sickness to Health: The Twentieth-Century Development of U.S. Health Insurance," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 233-253, July.
- Knox Lovell, C. A., 1995. "Measuring the macroeconomic performance of the Taiwanese economy," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 165-178, April.
- Sloan, Frank A. & Picone, Gabriel A. & TaylorJr., Donald H. & Chou, Shin-Yi, 2001.
"Hospital ownership and cost and quality of care: is there a dime's worth of difference?,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 1-21, January.
- Frank A. Sloan & Gabriel A. Picone & Donald H. Taylor, Jr. & Shin-Yi Chou, 1998. "Hospital Ownership and Cost and Quality of Care: Is There a Dime's Worth of Difference?," NBER Working Papers 6706, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sloan, Frank A. & Picone, Gabriel A. & Taylor, Donald H., Jr. & Chou, Shin-Yi, 2000. "Hospital Ownership and Cost and Quality of Care: Is There a Dime's Worth of Difference?," Working Papers 00-11, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Knox Lovell, C. A. & Pastor, Jesus T. & Turner, Judi A., 1995. "Measuring macroeconomic performance in the OECD: A comparison of European and non-European countries," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 87(3), pages 507-518, December.
- Michael D. Rosko, 2001. "Cost efficiency of US hospitals: a stochastic frontier approach," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(6), pages 539-551.
- Andrei Shleifer, 1985. "A Theory of Yardstick Competition," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, pages 319-327.
- Mehdi Farsi, 2004. "Changes in Hospital Quality after Conversion in Ownership Status," International Journal of Health Economics and Management, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 211-230, September.
- Olesen, O. B. & Petersen, N. C., 1995. "Incorporating quality into data envelopment analysis: a stochastic dominance approach," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 117-135, April.
- Laurens Cherchye, 2001. "Using data envelopment analysis to assess macroeconomic policy performance," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(3), pages 407-416.
- Mary E. Deily & Niccie L. McKay, 2006. "Cost inefficiency and mortality rates in Florida hospitals," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(4), pages 419-431.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Varabyova, Yauheniya & Blankart, Carl Rudolf Berchtold & Schreyögg, Jonas, 2016. "Using nonparametric conditional approach to integrate quality into efficiency analysis: Empirical evidence from cardiology departments," hche Research Papers 2016/11, University of Hamburg, Hamburg Center for Health Economics (hche).
- repec:zbw:tuisbw:22017 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sommersguter-Reichmann, Margit & Stepan, Adolf, 2015. "The interplay between regulation and efficiency: Evidence from the Austrian hospital inpatient sector," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 52(C), pages 10-21.
- Anthun, Kjartan Sarheim & Kittelsen, Sverre Andreas Campbell & Magnussen, Jon, 2017. "Productivity growth, case mix and optimal size of hospitals. A 16-year study of the Norwegian hospital sector," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 121(4), pages 418-425.
- repec:kap:hcarem:v:20:y:2017:i:2:d:10.1007_s10729-015-9350-2 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:soceps:v:60:y:2017:i:c:p:15-23 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yang, Jinqiu & Zeng, Wu, 2014. "The trade-offs between efficiency and quality in the hospital production: Some evidence from Shenzhen, China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 166-184.
- repec:kap:hcarem:v:20:y:2017:i:4:d:10.1007_s10729-016-9372-4 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gary D. Ferrier, 2014. "Improving the "usefulness" of stochastic frontier analysis for health care," Economics and Business Letters, Oviedo University Press, vol. 3(1), pages 27-34.
More about this item
KeywordsDouble DEA; US hospitals; Quality of care; Technical efficiency; D24; I12; L25;
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- I12 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health Behavior
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jproda:v:40:y:2013:i:3:p:337-355. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Rebekah McClure). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .