Incorporating quality into the measurement of hospital efficiency: a double DEA approach
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- B. Hollingsworth & P. Smith, 2003. "Use of ratios in data envelopment analysis," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(11), pages 733-735.
- Bruce Hollingsworth, 2008. "The measurement of efficiency and productivity of health care delivery," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(10), pages 1107-1128.
- Ole Olesen & Niels Petersen, 2002. "The Use of Data Envelopment Analysis with Probabilistic Assurance Regions for Measuring Hospital Efficiency," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 83-109, January.
- Thomasson, Melissa A., 2002. "From Sickness to Health: The Twentieth-Century Development of U.S. Health Insurance," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 233-253, July.
- Knox Lovell, C. A., 1995. "Measuring the macroeconomic performance of the Taiwanese economy," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 165-178, April.
- Sloan, Frank A. & Picone, Gabriel A. & TaylorJr., Donald H. & Chou, Shin-Yi, 2001.
"Hospital ownership and cost and quality of care: is there a dime's worth of difference?,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 1-21, January.
- Frank A. Sloan & Gabriel A. Picone & Donald H. Taylor, Jr. & Shin-Yi Chou, 1998. "Hospital Ownership and Cost and Quality of Care: Is There a Dime's Worth of Difference?," NBER Working Papers 6706, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sloan, Frank A. & Picone, Gabriel A. & Taylor, Donald H., Jr. & Chou, Shin-Yi, 2000. "Hospital Ownership and Cost and Quality of Care: Is There a Dime's Worth of Difference?," Working Papers 00-11, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Knox Lovell, C. A. & Pastor, Jesus T. & Turner, Judi A., 1995. "Measuring macroeconomic performance in the OECD: A comparison of European and non-European countries," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 87(3), pages 507-518, December.
- Michael D. Rosko, 2001. "Cost efficiency of US hospitals: a stochastic frontier approach," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(6), pages 539-551.
- Andrei Shleifer, 1985. "A Theory of Yardstick Competition," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 16(3), pages 319-327, Autumn.
- Mehdi Farsi, 2004. "Changes in Hospital Quality after Conversion in Ownership Status," International Journal of Health Economics and Management, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 211-230, September.
- Olesen, O. B. & Petersen, N. C., 1995. "Incorporating quality into data envelopment analysis: a stochastic dominance approach," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 117-135, April.
- Laurens Cherchye, 2001. "Using data envelopment analysis to assess macroeconomic policy performance," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(3), pages 407-416.
- Mary E. Deily & Niccie L. McKay, 2006. "Cost inefficiency and mortality rates in Florida hospitals," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(4), pages 419-431.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Varabyova, Yauheniya & Blankart, Carl Rudolf Berchtold & Schreyögg, Jonas, 2016. "Using nonparametric conditional approach to integrate quality into efficiency analysis: Empirical evidence from cardiology departments," hche Research Papers 2016/11, University of Hamburg, Hamburg Center for Health Economics (hche).
- repec:zbw:tuisbw:22017 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:spr:annopr:v:261:y:2018:i:1:d:10.1007_s10479-017-2628-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:soceps:v:60:y:2017:i:c:p:15-23 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:kap:hcarem:v:20:y:2017:i:4:d:10.1007_s10729-016-9372-4 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gary D. Ferrier, 2014. "Improving the "usefulness" of stochastic frontier analysis for health care," Economics and Business Letters, Oviedo University Press, vol. 3(1), pages 27-34.
- Sommersguter-Reichmann, Margit & Stepan, Adolf, 2015. "The interplay between regulation and efficiency: Evidence from the Austrian hospital inpatient sector," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 52(C), pages 10-21.
- Anthun, Kjartan Sarheim & Kittelsen, Sverre Andreas Campbell & Magnussen, Jon, 2017. "Productivity growth, case mix and optimal size of hospitals. A 16-year study of the Norwegian hospital sector," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 121(4), pages 418-425.
- repec:kap:hcarem:v:20:y:2017:i:2:d:10.1007_s10729-015-9350-2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yang, Jinqiu & Zeng, Wu, 2014. "The trade-offs between efficiency and quality in the hospital production: Some evidence from Shenzhen, China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 166-184.
More about this item
KeywordsDouble DEA; US hospitals; Quality of care; Technical efficiency; D24; I12; L25;
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- I12 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health Behavior
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jproda:v:40:y:2013:i:3:p:337-355. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Rebekah McClure). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.