The relationship between bank performance and intellectual capital in East Asia
In this paper, we develop a performance efficiency value by using data envelopment analysis (DEA) to integrate five perspectives of CAMEL (Capital Adequacy, Asset Quality, Management, Earnings, Liquidity), which is used by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation to evaluate banking performance. In addition, we utilize a tiered DEA to categorize banks into four groups. One-way ANOVA is used to analyze differences in CAMEL and intellectual capital (IC) variables across the four groups. CAMEL variables are manifested more strongly in highly efficient groups when compared with inefficient groups. The findings also reveal the importance of IC in achieving high levels of bank efficiency. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media B.V. 2013
Volume (Year): 47 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/11135|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- B. Hollingsworth & P. Smith, 2003. "Use of ratios in data envelopment analysis," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(11), pages 733-735.
- Lovell, C. A. Knox & Pastor, Jesus T., 1999. "Radial DEA models without inputs or without outputs," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 118(1), pages 46-51, October.
- Ioannou, George & Mavri, Maria, 2007. "Performance-Net: A Decision Support System for Reconfiguring a Bank's Branch Network," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 190-201, April.
- Knox Lovell, C. A. & Pastor, Jesus T. & Turner, Judi A., 1995. "Measuring macroeconomic performance in the OECD: A comparison of European and non-European countries," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 87(3), pages 507-518, December.
- Sathye, Milind, 2001. "X-efficiency in Australian banking: An empirical investigation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 613-630, March.
- Isik, Ihsan & Kabir Hassan, M., 2003. "Financial deregulation and total factor productivity change: An empirical study of Turkish commercial banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 1455-1485, August.
- Koetter, Michael & Bos, Jaap W. B. & Heid, Frank & Kool, Clemens J. M. & Kolari, James W. & Porath, Daniel, 2005.
"Accounting for distress in bank mergers,"
Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies
2005,09, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Ana Lozano-Vivas & Jesús Pastor & José Pastor, 2002. "An Efficiency Comparison of European Banking Systems Operating under Different Environmental Conditions," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 59-77, July.
- Aida, Kazuo & Cooper, William W. & Pastor, Jésus T. & Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki, 1998. "Evaluating Water Supply Services in Japan with RAM: a Range-adjusted Measure of Inefficiency," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 207-232, April.
- Sherman, H. David & Gold, Franklin, 1985. "Bank branch operating efficiency : Evaluation with Data Envelopment Analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 297-315, June.
- Ana Lozano-Vivas & Jesús Pastor, 2006. "Relating Macro-economic Efficiency to Financial Efficiency: A Comparison of Fifteen OECD Countries Over an Eighteen Year Period," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 67-78, 04.
- Cook, Wade D. & Hababou, Moez, 2001. "Sales performance measurement in bank branches," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 299-307, August.
- Tone, Kaoru, 2001. "A slacks-based measure of efficiency in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 130(3), pages 498-509, May.
- Avkiran, Necmi K., 2009. "Opening the black box of efficiency analysis: An illustration with UAE banks," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 930-941, August.
- Cook, Wade D. & Seiford, Lawrence M. & Zhu, Joe, 2004. "Models for performance benchmarking: measuring the effect of e-business activities on banking performance," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 313-322, August.
- Robert Russell, R., 1985. "Measures of technical efficiency," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 109-126, February.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- David C. Wheelock & Paul W. Wilson, 1995.
"Why do banks disappear? The determinants of U.S. bank failures and acquisitions,"
1995-013, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- David C. Wheelock & Paul W. Wilson, 2000. "Why do Banks Disappear? The Determinants of U.S. Bank Failures and Acquisitions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(1), pages 127-138, February.
- Gasbarro, Dominic & Sadguna, I Gde Made & Zumwalt, J Kenton, 2002. "The Changing Relationship Between CAMEL Ratings and Bank Soundness during the Indonesian Banking Crisis," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 19(3), pages 247-60, November.
- Morita, Hiroshi & Hirokawa, Koichiro & Zhu, Joe, 2005. "A slack-based measure of efficiency in context-dependent data envelopment analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 357-362, August.
- Seiford, Lawrence M. & Zhu, Joe, 2003. "Context-dependent data envelopment analysis--Measuring attractiveness and progress," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 397-408, October.
- Halkos, George & Salamouris, Dimitrios, 2001. "Efficiency Measures of the Greek Banking Sector: A Non-Parametric Approach for the Period 1997-1999," MPRA Paper 2858, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Knox Lovell, C. A., 1995. "Measuring the macroeconomic performance of the Taiwanese economy," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 165-178, April.
- Pastor, J. T. & Ruiz, J. L. & Sirvent, I., 1999. "An enhanced DEA Russell graph efficiency measure," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 115(3), pages 596-607, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:qualqt:v:47:y:2013:i:2:p:1041-1062. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.