International trade and renewable resources under asymmetries of resource abundance and resource management
This paper examines the interaction between relative resource abundance and resource management regimes in determining trade patterns and gains from trade in a two-country model with a renewable resource. A model developed by Brander and Taylor [Brander JA, Taylor MS (1997b) Resour Energy Econ 19:267–297] is extended. It is shown that relative resource abundance determines trade patterns if resource abundance is similar in both countries and the relative demand for the resource good is moderate, or if resource abundance is sufficiently different and the relative demand is not so high. Otherwise, a difference in resource management regimes determines trade patterns. Even under an open-access regime, the resource-scarce country gains from trade unless resource abundance is similar and the relative demand is low. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, Inc. 2007
Volume (Year): 37 (2007)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Postal:c/o EAERE Secretariat - Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei - Isola di San Giorgio Maggiore 8, I-30124 Venice, Italy
Web page: http://www.eaere.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/environmental/journal/10640/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brander, James A. & Scott Taylor, M., 1998.
"Open access renewable resources: Trade and trade policy in a two-country model,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 181-209, April.
- James A. Brander & M. Scott Taylor, 1996. "Open Access Renewable Resources: Trade and Trade Policy in a Two-CountryModel," NBER Working Papers 5474, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chichilnisky, Graciela, 1994. "North-South Trade and the Global Environment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(4), pages 851-874, September.
- Ali Emami & Richard S. Johnston, 2000. "Unilateral Resource Management in a Two-Country General Equilibrium Model of Trade in a Renewable Fishery Resource," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(1), pages 161-172.
- Uusivuori, Jussi & Uusivuori, J., 2002. "Comparative advantage and forest endowment in forest products trade: evidence from panel data of OECD-countries," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 53-75.
- Chichilnisky, Graciela, 1993. "North-South trade and the dynamics of renewable resources," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 219-248, December.
- Chichilnisky, G., 1993. "North-South Trade and the Dynamics of Renewable Resources," Papers 93-15, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Hotte, Louis & Long, Ngo Van & Tian, Huilan, 2000. "International trade with endogenous enforcement of property rights," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 25-54, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)