What Have We Learned about the Employment Effects of Severance Pay? Further Iterations of Lazear Et al
In this study we examine the contribution of severance pay to employment and unemployment development using data on industrialized OECD countries. Our starting point is Lazear’s (1990) empirical dictum that severance payment requirements adversely impact the labor market. We extend his sample period and add to his parsimonious specification a variety of fixed and time-varying labor market institutions. While the positive effect of severance pay on unemployment garners some support, there is no real indication of adverse effects for (the three) other employment outcomes identified here. Moreover, with the possible exception of collective bargaining coordination, the role of institutions is also more muted than suggested in the literature.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Juan Botero & Simeon Djankov & Rafael LaPorta & Florencio López-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, .
"The Regulation of Labor,"
19483, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Blanchard, Olivier & Wolfers, Justin, 2000.
"The Role of Shocks and Institutions in the Rise of European Unemployment: The Aggregate Evidence,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(462), pages C1-33, March.
- Olivier Blanchard & Justin Wolfers, 1999. "The Role of Shocks and Institutions in the Rise of European Unemployment: The Aggregate Evidence," NBER Working Papers 7282, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giuseppe Bertola & Francine D. Blau & Lawrence M. Kahn, 2001.
"Comparative Analysis of Labor Market Outcomes: Lessons for the US from International Long-Run Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
8526, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bertola, Giuseppe & Blau, Francine D & Kahn, Lawrence, 2001. "Comparative Analysis of Labour Market Outcomes: Lessons for the US from International Long-Run Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 3023, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- James J. Heckman & Carmen Pages, 2000.
"The Cost of Job Security Regulation: Evidence from Latin American Labor Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
7773, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carmen Pagés & James J. Heckman, 2000. "The Cost of Job Security Regulation: Evidence from Latin American Labor Markets," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 4119, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Carmen Pagés-Serra & James J. Heckman, 2000. "The Cost of Job Security Regulation: Evidence from Latin American Labor Markets," Research Department Publications 4227, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Ferrer, Ana M. & Riddell, W. Craig, 2009.
"Unemployment insurance savings accounts in Latin America : overview and assessment,"
Social Protection Discussion Papers
49173, The World Bank.
- Ferrer, Ana & Riddell, W. Craig, 2011. "Unemployment Insurance Savings Accounts in Latin America: Overview and Assessment," IZA Discussion Papers 5577, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Addison, John T. & Teixeira, Paulino, 2001.
"The Economics of Employment Protection,"
IZA Discussion Papers
381, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Di Tella, Rafael & MacCulloch, Robert, 2005.
"The consequences of labor market flexibility: Panel evidence based on survey data,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 49(5), pages 1225-1259, July.
- DiTella, Rafael & MacCulloch, Robert, 1999. "The consequences of labour market flexibility: Panel evidence based on survey data," ZEI Working Papers B 02-1999, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- John T. Addison & Paulino Teixeira & Jean-Luc Grosso, 2000. "The Effect of Dismissals Protection on Employment: More on a Vexed Theme," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 67(1), pages 105-122, July.
- Stephen Nickell, 1997. "Unemployment and Labor Market Rigidities: Europe versus North America," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(3), pages 55-74, Summer.
- Lazear, Edward P, 1990. "Job Security Provisions and Employment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 105(3), pages 699-726, August.
- Miguel Jaramillo & Jaime Saavedra, 2005. "Severance Payment Programs in Latin America," Empirica, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 275-307, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:empiri:v:32:y:2005:i:3:p:345-368. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.