The impact of foreign and state ownership on post-transition industrial concentration: the case of Polish manufacturing
This paper reports an analysis of the determinants of the level and changes in Polish industrial concentration in the early post-transition era. In particular, the relative effects of foreign and state ownership are examined. The empirical evidence is based on a panel of 144 Polish manufacturing industries over the period 1989–1993. The results suggest that both state and foreign ownership have a significant impact on industry concentration and this relationship is U-shaped. Minimum efficient scale is found to be the only other factor to impact on industry concentration. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2005
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Co, Catherine Y., 2001. "Trade, foreign direct investment and industry performance," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 163-183, January.
- Frank Windmeijer, 2000. "A finite sample correction for the variance of linear two-step GMM estimators," IFS Working Papers W00/19, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Nigel Driffield, 2001. "Inward investment, industry concentration and the speed of adjustment," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 137(2), pages 193-214, June.
- Conyon, Martin J, et al, 2002. "The Productivity and Wage Effects of Foreign Acquisition in the United Kingdom," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(1), pages 85-102, March.
- Symeonidis, George, 2000. "Price Competition, Non-price Competition and the Market Structure: Theory and Evidence from the UK," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 67(267), pages 437-56, August.
- Ghemawat, Pankaj & Kennedy, Robert E., 1999. "Competitive shocks and industrial structure: the case of Polish manufacturing," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 847-867, August.
- Bhattacharya, Mita & Bloch, Harry, 2000. "The dynamics of industrial concentration in Australian manufacturing," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(8), pages 1181-1199, December.
- Levy, David, 1985. "Specifying the Dynamics of Industry Concentration," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(1), pages 55-68, September.
- Blomstrom, Magnus, 1986. "Multinationals and market structure in Mexico," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 523-530, April.
- Evans, William N & Froeb, Luke M & Werden, Gregory J, 1993. "Endogeneity in the Concentration-Price Relationship: Causes, Consequences, and Cures," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(4), pages 431-38, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:ecopln:v:38:y:2005:i:3:p:211-225. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.