An Out-of-Sample Test for Nonlinearity in Financial Time Series: An Empirical Application
This paper employs a local information, nearest neighbour forecasting methodology to test for evidence of nonlinearity in financial time series. Evidence from well-known data generating process are provided and compared with returns from the Athens stock exchange given the in-sample evidence of nonlinear dynamics that has appeared in the literature. Nearest neighbour forecasts fail to produce more accurate forecasts from a simple AR model. This does not substantiate the presence of in-sample nonlinearity in the series.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 36 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100248|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Amos Golan & Jeffrey M. Perloff, 2004.
"Superior Forecasts of the U.S. Unemployment Rate Using a Nonparametric Method,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 86(1), pages 433-438, February.
- Golan, Amos & Perloff, Jeffrey M., 2002. "Superior Forecasts of the U.S. Unemployment Rate Using a Nonparametric Method," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt2bw559zk, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Golan, Amos & Perloff, Jeffrey M, 2002. "Superior forecasts of the U.S. unemployment rate using a nonparametric method," CUDARE Working Paper Series 956, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Theodore Panagiotidis, 2005.
"Market Efficiency and the Euro: The case of the Athens Stock Exchange,"
- Theodore Panagiotidis, 2010. "Market efficiency and the Euro: the case of the Athens stock exchange," Empirica, Springer, vol. 37(3), pages 237-251, July.
- Theodore Panagiotidis, 2003. "Market Efficiency and the Euro:The case of the Athens Stock Exchange," Economics and Finance Discussion Papers 03-08, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Theodore Panagiotidis, 2003. "Market Efficiency and the Euro:The case of the Athens Stock Exchange," Public Policy Discussion Papers 03-08, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Theodore Panagiotidis, 2008. "Market Efficiency and the Euro: The case of the Athens Stock exchange," Discussion Paper Series 2008_14, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Dec 2008.
- Granger Clive W.J., 2008. "Non-Linear Models: Where Do We Go Next - Time Varying Parameter Models?," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 12(3), pages 1-11, September.
- Jaditz Ted & Riddick Leigh A., 2000. "Time-Series Near-Neighbor Regression," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 4(1), pages 1-11, April.
- Jaditz, Ted & Sayers, Chera L, 1998. "Out-of-Sample Forecast Performance as a Test for Nonlinearity in Time Series," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(1), pages 110-17, January.
- Fernandez-Rodriguez, Fernando & Sosvilla-Rivero, Simon, 1998. "Testing nonlinear forecastability in time series: Theory and evidence from the EMS," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 49-63, April.
- repec:att:wimass:9105 is not listed on IDEAS
- David Chappell & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2005. "Using the correlation dimension to detect non-linear dynamics: Evidence from the Athens Stock Exchange," Econometrics 0504005, EconWPA.
- Agnon, Yehuda & Golan, Amos & Shearer, Matthew, 1999. "Nonparametric, nonlinear, short-term forecasting: theory and evidence for nonlinearities in the commodity markets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 293-299, December.
- Mizrach, B, 1992. "Multivariate Nearest-Neighbor Forecasts of EMS Exchange Rates," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(S), pages S151-63, Suppl. De.
- LeBaron, Blake, 1992.
"Forecast Improvements Using a Volatility Index,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(S), pages S137-49, Suppl. De.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:compec:v:36:y:2010:i:2:p:121-132. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.