An Out-of-Sample Test for Nonlinearity in Financial Time Series: An Empirical Application
This paper employs a local information, nearest neighbour forecasting methodology to test for evidence of nonlinearity in financial time series. Evidence from well-known data generating process are provided and compared with returns from the Athens stock exchange given the in-sample evidence of nonlinear dynamics that has appeared in the literature. Nearest neighbour forecasts fail to produce more accurate forecasts from a simple AR model. This does not substantiate the presence of in-sample nonlinearity in the series.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 36 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/economic+theory/journal/10614/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- LeBaron, Blake, 1992.
"Forecast Improvements Using a Volatility Index,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(S), pages 137-149, Suppl. De.
- LeBaron, B., 1991. "Forecast Improvements Using A Volatility Index," Working papers 9105, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Theodore Panagiotidis, 2010. "Market efficiency and the Euro: the case of the Athens stock exchange," Empirica, Springer;Austrian Institute for Economic Research;Austrian Economic Association, vol. 37(3), pages 237-251, July.
- Theodore Panagiotidis, 2003. "Market Efficiency and the Euro:The case of the Athens Stock Exchange," Public Policy Discussion Papers 03-08, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Theodore Panagiotidis, 2008. "Market Efficiency and the Euro: The case of the Athens Stock exchange," Discussion Paper Series 2008_14, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Dec 2008.
- Theodore Panagiotidis, 2005. "Market Efficiency and the Euro: The case of the Athens Stock Exchange," Finance 0507022, EconWPA.
- Theodore Panagiotidis, 2003. "Market Efficiency and the Euro:The case of the Athens Stock Exchange," Economics and Finance Discussion Papers 03-08, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Amos Golan & Jeffrey M. Perloff, 2004. "Superior Forecasts of the U.S. Unemployment Rate Using a Nonparametric Method," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 86(1), pages 433-438, February.
- Jaditz Ted & Riddick Leigh A., 2000. "Time-Series Near-Neighbor Regression," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 4(1), pages 1-11, April.
- Jaditz, Ted & Sayers, Chera L, 1998. "Out-of-Sample Forecast Performance as a Test for Nonlinearity in Time Series," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(1), pages 110-117, January.
- Mizrach, B, 1992. "Multivariate Nearest-Neighbor Forecasts of EMS Exchange Rates," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(S), pages 151-163, Suppl. De.
- Granger Clive W.J., 2008. "Non-Linear Models: Where Do We Go Next - Time Varying Parameter Models?," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 12(3), pages 1-11, September.
- David Chappell & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2005. "Using the correlation dimension to detect non-linear dynamics: Evidence from the Athens Stock Exchange," Econometrics 0504005, EconWPA.
- Fernandez-Rodriguez, Fernando & Sosvilla-Rivero, Simon, 1998. "Testing nonlinear forecastability in time series: Theory and evidence from the EMS," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 49-63, April.
- Agnon, Yehuda & Golan, Amos & Shearer, Matthew, 1999. "Nonparametric, nonlinear, short-term forecasting: theory and evidence for nonlinearities in the commodity markets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 293-299, December.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:compec:v:36:y:2010:i:2:p:121-132. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.