Globalization and the Renewal of Asian Business Networks
How are Asia's business networks responding to the growing integration of the region into the global economy? To address the question the paper identifies two distinct types of Asian business network originating in two different institutional contexts. It is argued that these original contexts have imprinted upon dominant firms' governance structures and influence their preferred networking mode. Consequently, the renewal of business networks reflects the pressures of globalization and the governance structures of the dominant organizational forms in the networks. Two types of network (global commodity chains and family business groups) are described and the global pressures for change bearing upon them outlined. Copyright Springer Science + Business Media, Inc. 2005
Volume (Year): 22 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/new+%26+forthcoming+titles+%28default%29/journal/10490/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Whitley, 2003. "Changing Transnational Institutions and the Management of International Business Transactions," Chapters,in: Globalization and Institutions, chapter 5 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- repec:hrv:faseco:30728046 is not listed on IDEAS
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1998.
"Which Capitalism? Lessons Form The East Asian Crisis,"
Journal of Applied Corporate Finance,
Morgan Stanley, vol. 11(3), pages 40-48.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1998. "Which Capitalism? Lessons from the East Asian Crisis," CRSP working papers 486, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1997. " A Survey of Corporate Governance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(2), pages 737-783, June.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1995. "A Survey of Corporate Governance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1741, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "A Survey of Corporate Governance," NBER Working Papers 5554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-De-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 1999. "Corporate Ownership Around the World," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(2), pages 471-517, 04.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer, 1998. "Corporate Ownership Around the World," NBER Working Papers 6625, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 1998. "Corporate Ownership Around the World," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1840, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Demsetz, Harold & Lehn, Kenneth, 1985. "The Structure of Corporate Ownership: Causes and Consequences," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(6), pages 1155-1177, December.
- Bruce Kogut, 1991. "Joint Ventures and the Option to Expand and Acquire," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(1), pages 19-33, January.
- Hobday, Mike, 1995. "East Asian latecomer firms: Learning the technology of electronics," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(7), pages 1171-1193, July.
- repec:hrv:faseco:30747162 is not listed on IDEAS
- Y Hsing, 1996. "Blood, Thicker than Water: Interpersonal Relations and Taiwanese Investment in Southern China," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 28(12), pages 2241-2261, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:asiapa:v:22:y:2005:i:4:p:337-354. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.