Unemployment Compensation and Wages: Evidence from the German Hartz Reforms
Using the introduction of fixed unemployment assistance in Germany in 2005 as a unique natural experiment, we find strong evidence that decreased unemployment compensation has an adverse effect on wages. We use micro panel data to identify and estimate the effect of this structural break. In eastern and western Germany, the relative effect is higher for women. In western Germany, the relative effect increases with skill level. In eastern Germany, there is no clear skill-specific pattern.
Volume (Year): 233 (2013)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/jbnst|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Addison & Mário Centeno & Pedro Portugal, 2009.
"Do Reservation Wages Really Decline? Some International Evidence on the Determinants of Reservation Wages,"
Journal of Labor Research,
Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 1-8, March.
- John T. Addison & Mário Centeno & Pedro Portugal, 2008. "Do Reservation Wages Really Decline? Some International Evidence on the Determinants of Reservation Wages," Working Papers w200802, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Addison, John T. & Centeno, Mario & Portugal, Pedro, 2008. "Do Reservation Wages Really Decline? Some International Evidence on the Determinants of Reservation Wages," IZA Discussion Papers 3289, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- John T. Addison & Mário Centeno & Pedro Portugal, 2008. "Do Reservation Wages Really Decline?: Some International Evidence on the Determinants of Reservation Wages," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 85, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Feldstein, Martin & Poterba, James, 1984. "Unemployment insurance and reservation wages," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1-2), pages 141-167.
- Martin Feldstein & James M. Poterba, 1982. "Unemployment Insurance and Reservation Wages," NBER Working Papers 1011, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Neal, Derek, 1995. "Industry-Specific Human Capital: Evidence from Displaced Workers," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 13(4), pages 653-677, October.
- Krause, Michael U. & Uhlig, Harald, 2012. "Transitions in the German labor market: Structure and crisis," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 64-79.
- Krause, Michael U. & Uhlig, Harald, 2011. "Transitions in the German labor market: Structure and crisis," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2011,34, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Franz Kronthaler, 2003. "A Study of the Competitiveness of Regions based on a Cluster Analysis: The Example of East Germany," ERSA conference papers ersa03p27, European Regional Science Association.
- Harris, Richard D. F. & Tzavalis, Elias, 1999. "Inference for unit roots in dynamic panels where the time dimension is fixed," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 201-226, August.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "HTUNIT: RATS procedure to implement Harris-Tzavalis unit root test for panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00092, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Rowthorn, Robert, 1999. "Unemployment, Wage Bargaining and Capital-Labour Substitution," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(4), pages 413-425, July.
- repec:iab:iabzaf:v:40:i:1:p:45-64 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kronthaler, Franz, 2003. "A Study of the Competitiveness of Regions based on a Cluster Analysis: The Example of East Germany," IWH Discussion Papers 179, Halle Institute for Economic Research (IWH).
- Jacobi, Lena & Kluve, Jochen, 2007. "Before and after the Hartz reforms: The performance of active labour market policy in Germany," Zeitschrift für ArbeitsmarktForschung - Journal for Labour Market Research, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 40(1), pages 45-64.
- Sabine Klinger & Thomas Rothe, 2012. "The Impact of Labour Market Reforms and Economic Performance on the Matching of the Short‐term and the Long‐term Unemployed," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 59(1), pages 90-114, 02. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)