Unemployment Compensation and Wages: Evidence from the German Hartz Reforms
Using the introduction of fixed unemployment assistance in Germany in 2005 as a unique natural experiment, we find strong evidence that decreased unemployment compensation has an adverse effect on wages. We use micro panel data to identify and estimate the effect of this structural break. In eastern and western Germany, the relative effect is higher for women. In western Germany, the relative effect increases with skill level. In eastern Germany, there is no clear skill-specific pattern.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 233 (2013)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.degruyter.com/view/j/jbnst|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin Feldstein & James M. Poterba, 1982.
"Unemployment Insurance and Reservation Wages,"
NBER Working Papers
1011, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krause, Michael U. & Uhlig, Harald, 2011.
"Transitions in the German labor market: Structure and crisis,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2011,34, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Krause, Michael U. & Uhlig, Harald, 2012. "Transitions in the German labor market: Structure and crisis," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 64-79.
- Franz Kronthaler, 2003. "A Study of the Competitiveness of Regions based on a Cluster Analysis: The Example of East Germany," ERSA conference papers ersa03p27, European Regional Science Association.
- Jacobi, Lena & Kluve, Jochen, 2007. "Before and after the Hartz reforms: The performance of active labour market policy in Germany," Zeitschrift für ArbeitsmarktForschung - Journal for Labour Market Research, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 40(1), pages 45-64.
- John T. Addison & Mário Centeno & Pedro Portugal, 2008.
"Do Reservation Wages Really Decline?: Some International Evidence on the Determinants of Reservation Wages,"
SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research
85, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- John Addison & Mário Centeno & Pedro Portugal, 2009. "Do Reservation Wages Really Decline? Some International Evidence on the Determinants of Reservation Wages," Journal of Labor Research, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 1-8, March.
- Addison, John T. & Centeno, Mario & Portugal, Pedro, 2008. "Do Reservation Wages Really Decline? Some International Evidence on the Determinants of Reservation Wages," IZA Discussion Papers 3289, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- John T. Addison & Mário Centeno & Pedro Portugal, 2008. "Do Reservation Wages Really Decline? Some International Evidence on the Determinants of Reservation Wages," Working Papers w200802, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Harris, Richard D. F. & Tzavalis, Elias, 1999.
"Inference for unit roots in dynamic panels where the time dimension is fixed,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 201-226, August.
- Tom Doan, . "HTUNIT: RATS procedure to implement Harris-Tzavalis unit root test for panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00092, Boston College Department of Economics.
- repec:iab:iabzaf:v:40:i:1:p:45-64 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rowthorn, Robert, 1999. "Unemployment, Wage Bargaining and Capital-Labour Substitution," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(4), pages 413-25, July.
- Sabine Klinger & Thomas Rothe, 2012. "The Impact of Labour Market Reforms and Economic Performance on the Matching of the Short‐term and the Long‐term Unemployed," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 59(1), pages 90-114, 02.
- Kronthaler, Franz, 2003. "A Study of the Competitiveness of Regions based on a Cluster Analysis: The Example of East Germany," IWH Discussion Papers 179, Halle Institute for Economic Research (IWH).
- Neal, Derek, 1995. "Industry-Specific Human Capital: Evidence from Displaced Workers," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 13(4), pages 653-77, October.
This item is featured on the following reading lists or Wikipedia pages:
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jns:jbstat:v:233:y:2014:i:4:p:450-466. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.