Unemployment Compensation and Wages: Evidence from the German Hartz Reforms
Using the introduction of fixed unemployment assistance in Germany in 2005 as a unique natural experiment, we find strong evidence that decreased unemployment compensation has an adverse effect on wages. We use micro panel data to identify and estimate the effect of this structural break. In eastern and western Germany, the relative effect is higher for women. In western Germany, the relative effect increases with skill level. In eastern Germany, there is no clear skill-specific pattern.
Volume (Year): 233 (2013)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (0)641 99 22 001
Fax: +49 (0)641 99 22 009
Web page: http://wiwi.uni-giessen.de/home/oekonometrie/Jahrbuecher/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John T. Addison & Mário Centeno & Pedro Portugal, 2008.
"Do Reservation Wages Really Decline? Some International Evidence on the Determinants of Reservation Wages,"
w200802, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- John Addison & Mário Centeno & Pedro Portugal, 2009. "Do Reservation Wages Really Decline? Some International Evidence on the Determinants of Reservation Wages," Journal of Labor Research, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 1-8, March.
- Addison, John T. & Centeno, Mario & Portugal, Pedro, 2008. "Do Reservation Wages Really Decline? Some International Evidence on the Determinants of Reservation Wages," IZA Discussion Papers 3289, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- John T. Addison & Mário Centeno & Pedro Portugal, 2008. "Do Reservation Wages Really Decline?: Some International Evidence on the Determinants of Reservation Wages," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 85, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Rowthorn, Robert, 1999. "Unemployment, Wage Bargaining and Capital-Labour Substitution," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(4), pages 413-25, July.
- Franz Kronthaler, 2003. "A Study of the Competitiveness of Regions based on a Cluster Analysis: The Example of East Germany," ERSA conference papers ersa03p27, European Regional Science Association.
- Harris, Richard D. F. & Tzavalis, Elias, 1999.
"Inference for unit roots in dynamic panels where the time dimension is fixed,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 201-226, August.
- Tom Doan, . "HTUNIT: RATS procedure to implement Harris-Tzavalis unit root test for panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00092, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Martin Feldstein & James M. Poterba, 1982.
"Unemployment Insurance and Reservation Wages,"
NBER Working Papers
1011, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jacobi, Lena & Kluve, Jochen, 2007. "Before and after the Hartz reforms: The performance of active labour market policy in Germany," Zeitschrift für ArbeitsmarktForschung - Journal for Labour Market Research, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 40(1), pages 45-64.
- Krause, Michael U. & Uhlig, Harald, 2012.
"Transitions in the German labor market: Structure and crisis,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 64-79.
- Krause, Michael U. & Uhlig, Harald, 2011. "Transitions in the German labor market: Structure and crisis," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2011,34, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Sabine Klinger & Thomas Rothe, 2012. "The Impact of Labour Market Reforms and Economic Performance on the Matching of the Short‐term and the Long‐term Unemployed," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 59(1), pages 90-114, 02.
- Neal, Derek, 1995. "Industry-Specific Human Capital: Evidence from Displaced Workers," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 13(4), pages 653-77, October.
- repec:iab:iabzaf:v:40:i:1:p:45-64 is not listed on IDEAS
This item is featured on the following reading lists or Wikipedia pages:
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jns:jbstat:v:233:y:2014:i:4:p:450-466. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Winker)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.