Endogenous Equilibrium Growth With Recursive Preferences And Increasing Returns
This paper studies the short-run and long-run behavior of a competitive economy in which both the discount factor and technological change are endogenously determined. In particular, the effect of saving behavior on persistent economic growth is considered. The paper provides the sufficient condition on the rate of impatience and the concavity of private technology for uniqueness and local stability of the steady state in the competitive economy. The condition implies determinacy of transitional equilibrium paths. However, the paper also shows that the presence of externalities and adjustment cost of investment can lead to indeterminacy of steady state equilibra.
Volume (Year): 33 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.jed.or.kr/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chamley, Christophe, 1986. "Optimal Taxation of Capital Income in General Equilibrium with Infinite Lives," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(3), pages 607-22, May.
- Becker, Robert A. & Boyd, John III & Sung, Bom Yong, 1989. "Recursive utility and optimal capital accumulation. I. Existence," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 76-100, February.
- Farmer, Roger E A & Lahiri, Amartya, 2003.
"Recursive Preferences and Balanced Growth,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3949, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Benhabib, Jess & Farmer, Roger E.A., 1991.
"Indeterminacy and Increasing Returns,"
91-59, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Epstein, Larry G., 1987. "A simple dynamic general equilibrium model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 68-95, February.
- Rebelo, Sergio, 1991.
"Long-Run Policy Analysis and Long-Run Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(3), pages 500-521, June.
- LE VAN, Cuong & VAILAKIS, Yiannis, 2002.
"Recursive utility and optimal growth with bounded or unbounded returns,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2002055, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Le Van, Cuong & Vailakis, Yiannis, 2005. "Recursive utility and optimal growth with bounded or unbounded returns," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 123(2), pages 187-209, August.
- Palivos, Theodore & Wang, Ping & Zhang, Jianbo, 1997. "On the Existence of Balanced Growth Equilibrium," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 38(1), pages 205-24, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jed:journl:v:33:y:2008:i:2:p:167-188. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Changhui Kang)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.