Recursive utility and optimal growth with bounded or unbounded returns
In this paper we propose a unifying approach to the study of recursive economic problems. Postulating an aggregator function as the fundamental expression of tastes, we explore conditions under which a utility function can be constructed. We also modify the usual dynamic programming arguments to include this class of models. We show that Bellman's equation still holds, so many results known for the additively separable case can be generalized for this general description of preferences. Our approach is general, allowing for both bounded and unbounded (above/below) returns. Many recursive economic models, including the standard examples studied in the literature, are particular cases of our setting.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jorge Durán, 2002.
"Discounting Long Run Average Growth In Stochastic Dynamic Programs,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2002-08, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Jorge Durán, 2003. "Discounting long run average growth in stochastic dynamic programs," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 395-413, 09.
- Duran, Jorge, 2000. "Discounting Long Run Average Growth in Stochastic Dynamic Programs," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2000006, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Duran, Jorge, 2001. "Discounting long run average growth in stochastic dynamic programs," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 0101, CEPREMAP.
- Dana, Rose-Anne & Van, Cuong Le, 1991.
"Optimal growth and Pareto optimality,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 155-180.
- Boud, John III, 1990. "Recursive utility and the Ramsey problem," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 326-345, April.
- Epstein, Larry G & Zin, Stanley E, 1989. "Substitution, Risk Aversion, and the Temporal Behavior of Consumption and Asset Returns: A Theoretical Framework," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(4), pages 937-69, July.
- Le Van, Cuong & Morhaim, Lisa, 2002.
"Optimal Growth Models with Bounded or Unbounded Returns: A Unifying Approach,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 158-187, July.
- Le Van, C. & Morhaim, L., 2000. "Optimal Growth Models with Bounded or Unbounded Returns : a Unifying Approach," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 2000.64, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- LE VAN, Cuong & MORHAIM, Lisa, 2001. "Optimal growth models with bounded or unbounded returns: a unifying approach," CORE Discussion Papers 2001034, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Streufert, Peter A, 1990. "Stationary Recursive Utility and Dynamic Programming under the Assumption of Biconvergence," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(1), pages 79-97, January.
- Alvarez, Fernando & Stokey, Nancy L., 1998. "Dynamic Programming with Homogeneous Functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 167-189, September.
- Epstein, Larry G., 1983. "Stationary cardinal utility and optimal growth under uncertainty," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 133-152, October.
- Lucas, Robert Jr. & Stokey, Nancy L., 1984.
"Optimal growth with many consumers,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 139-171, February.
- Juan Pablo RincÛn-Zapatero & Carlos RodrÌguez-Palmero, 2003. "Existence and Uniqueness of Solutions to the Bellman Equation in the Unbounded Case," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1519-1555, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jetheo:v:123:y:2005:i:2:p:187-209. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.