A General Equilibrium Skill Acquisitions Model Of Development For Lesotho
Dual economy, large unemployment, a fixed number of skilled workers, perfect capital mobility, migrant labor force working in South African gold mines, and a cycle of poverty characterize Lesotho. This paper develops a general equilibrium model for Lesotho specifying these absorbing economic characteristics. We are particularly interested in constructing a rising step skill acquisition function, which shows that small infusions of human-capital investment would not pull the economy out of its poverty trap, but a large infusion would.
Volume (Year): 30 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.jed.or.kr/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vandana Chandra & Nadeem Naqvi, 1997. "Protection and the Shadow Price of Foreign Exchange with Increasing Returns and International Capital Mobility," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(4), pages 959-967, November.
- Deaton, A. & Case, A., 1988. "Analysis Of Household Expenditures," Papers 28, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Upadhyay, Mukti P, 1994. "Accumulation of Human Capital in LDCs in the Presence of Unemployment," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 61(243), pages 355-378, August.
- Neary, Peter & Ruane, Frances P, 1988.
"International Capital Mobility, Shadow Prices, and the Cost of Protection,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 29(4), pages 571-585, November.
- J. Peter Neary & Frances P. Ruane, 1984. "International capital mobility, shadow prices and the cost of protection," Working Papers 198432, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Neary, J Peter & Ruane, Frances, 1985. "International Capital Mobility, Shadow Prices and the Cost of Protection," CEPR Discussion Papers 58, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.