Efficiency-wage Hypothesis and the Operational Production Pattern
An economy’s production set is the collection of all net output vectors that the economy is capable of producing with a given technology and fixed quantities of primary factors of production. The boundary of this set is called the production possibility frontier or PPF. We show that, if the efficiency-wage hypothesis holds, a country’s PPF, though conceptually valid, is an operationally irrelevant concept, because the economy never operates on the PPF, which is a view that ought to be appreciated in light of persistent unemployment in the new structure of economies of the post-21st-Century-crisis world.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming in|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.uni-marburg.de/fb02/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Summers, Lawrence H, 1988.
"Relative Wages, Efficiency Wages, and Keynesian Unemployment,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(2), pages 383-88, May.
- Lawrence H. Summers, 1988. "Relative Wages, Efficiency Wages, and Keynesian Unemployment," NBER Working Papers 2590, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Batra, Raveendra N. & Naqvi, Nadeem, 1989. "Non-traded and intermediate goods and the theory of protection," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 721-735, April.
- Solow, Robert M., 1979. "Another possible source of wage stickiness," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 79-82.
- Neary, J Peter, 1985. "International Factor Mobility, Minimum Wage Rates, and Factor-Price Equalization: A Synthesis," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 100(3), pages 551-70, August.
- Alan S. Blinder, 2010.
"Teaching Macro Principles after the Financial Crisis,"
1222, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Center for Economic Policy Studies..
- Alan Blinder, 2010. "Teaching Macro Principles after the Financial Crisis," The Journal of Economic Education, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(4), pages 385-390, September.
- Henrik Egbert & Nadeem Naqvi, 2011.
"Market-dependent Production Set,"
MAGKS Papers on Economics
201145, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mar:magkse:201146. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bernd Hayo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.