Green tax reform and two-component unemployment: Double dividend or double loss?
The double-dividend argument (as used in political debates) addresses worries that a green tax may lead to higher unemployment when wages are inflexible. As protection against this possibility, it is proposed to use the proceeds of the green tax to subsidize employment. In the best case, this protects the environment and reduces unemployment (double dividend). However, even if the main cause of unemployment is a minimum wage, an additional efficiency-wage component (which explains certain stylized facts) can dominate employment effects. In the worst case, this leads to a double loss, which is impossible under pure minimum-wage unemployment.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: D-78457 Konstanz|
Phone: +49 7531 88 2314
Web page: http://www.wiwi.uni-konstanz.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bovenberg, A. Lans & van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1996.
"Optimal taxation, public goods and environmental policy with involuntary unemployment,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 62(1-2), pages 59-83, October.
- Bovenberg, A.L. & van der Ploeg, F., 1996. "Optimal taxation, public goods and environmental policy with involuntary unemployment," Other publications TiSEM 2a1a87d9-2ed9-41a7-b3aa-b, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Bovenberg, A.L. & van der Ploeg, F., 1993. "Optimal taxation, public goods and environmental policy with involuntary unemployment," Discussion Paper 1993-77, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- A. Bovenberg, 1998. "Environmental Taxes and the Double Dividend," Empirica, Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 15-35, January.
- Erkki Koskela & Ronnie Schöb & Hans-Werner Sinn, 1998.
"Pollution, Factor Taxation and Unemployment,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 379-396, July.
- Jeremy I. Bulow & Lawrence H. Summers, 1985.
"A Theory of Dual Labor Markets with Application to Industrial Policy, Discrimination and Keynesian Unemployment,"
NBER Working Papers
1666, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bulow, Jeremy I & Summers, Lawrence H, 1986. "A Theory of Dual Labor Markets with Application to Industrial Policy,Discrimination, and Keynesian Unemployment," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 4(3), pages 376-414, July.
- George A. Akerlof, 1982. "Labor Contracts as Partial Gift Exchange," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 97(4), pages 543-569.
- Schlicht, Ekkehart, 1992. "Wage Generosity," Munich Reprints in Economics 3165, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- George A. Akerlof & Janet L. Yellen, 1990. "The Fair Wage-Effort Hypothesis and Unemployment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 105(2), pages 255-283.
- Bovenberg, A Lans & van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1998. " Tax Reform, Structural Unemployment and the Environment," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 100(3), pages 593-610, September.
- Koskela, Erkki & Schöb, Ronnie & Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1999.
"Green Tax Reform and Competitiveness,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2089, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Koskela, Erkki & Schöb, Ronnie & Sinn, Hans-Werner, 2001. "Green tax reform and competitiveness," Munich Reprints in Economics 19492, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Erkki Koskela & Ronnie Schob & Hans-Werner Sinn, 1999. "Green Tax Reform and Competitiveness," NBER Working Papers 6922, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Koskela, Erkki & Schöb, Ronnie & Sinn, Hans-Werner, 2000. "Green Tax Reform and Competitiveness," Discussion Papers 731, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Krueger, Alan B & Summers, Lawrence H, 1988. "Efficiency Wages and the Inter-industry Wage Structure," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(2), pages 259-93, March.
- Koskela, Erkki & Schob, Ronnie, 1999. "Alleviating unemployment:: The case for green tax reforms," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(9), pages 1723-1746, October.
- Albert, Max & Meckl, Jürgen, 1997. "Efficiency wages, unemployment and welfare: A trade theorists' guide," Discussion Papers, Series II 348, University of Konstanz, Collaborative Research Centre (SFB) 178 "Internationalization of the Economy".
- Schneider, Kerstin, 1997. " Involuntary Unemployment and Environmental Policy: The Double Dividend Hypothesis," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 99(1), pages 45-49, March.
- J. Peter Neary, 1985. "International Factor Mobility, Minimum Wage Rates, and Factor-Price Equalization: A Synthesis," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 100(3), pages 551-570.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:kondp1:297. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.