LDCs, International Capital Mobility and the Shadow Price of Foreign Exchange under Tariffs and Quantitative Restrictions
For a very general, small open less-developed country with a convex production set, the shadow price of foreign exchange is lower with tariffs on one subset of imports and VERs on another than with tariffs and quotas. This is true with and without international capital mobility. Furthermore, the introduction of international capital mobility reduces the shadow price of foreign exchange in the presence of tariffs and quotas and raises the shadow price of foreign exchange in the presence of tariffs and VERs when tariff- and quantity-constrained goods are both capital intensive or both not capital intensive and are substitutes in import demand.
Volume (Year): 25 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.jed.or.kr/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Neary, J Peter, 1989.
"Trade Liberalization and Shadow Prices in the Presence of Tariffs and Quotas,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
345, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Neary, J Peter, 1995. "Trade Liberalisation and Shadow Prices in the Presence of Tariffs and Quotas," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 36(3), pages 531-54, August.
- Peter Neary, 1988. "Tariffs, Quotas, and Voluntary Export Restraints with and without Internationally Mobile Capital," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 21(4), pages 714-35, November.
- Anderson, James E & Neary, J Peter, 1992. "Trade Reform with Quotas, Partial Rent Retention, and Tariffs," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 57-76, January.
- Chao, Chi-Chur & Yu, Eden S. H., 1995. "The shadow price of foreign exchange in a dual economy," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 195-202, February.
- Neary, J Peter, 1985. "International Factor Mobility, Minimum Wage Rates, and Factor-Price Equalization: A Synthesis," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 100(3), pages 551-70, August.
- Richard Dusansky & David Franck & Nadeem Naqvi, 2000. "The true shadow price of foreign exchange," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 206-214, June.
- Vandana Chandra & Nadeem Naqvi, 1997. "Protection and the Shadow Price of Foreign Exchange with Increasing Returns and International Capital Mobility," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(4), pages 959-67, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jed:journl:v:25:y:2000:i:2:p:43-54. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Changhui Kang)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.