Import Liberalization, Urban Unemployment, and Capital Mobility: a Welfare Analysis
This paper examines the issue of import liberalization in the presence of urban unemployment when capital moves freely in and out of the rural area. To this end, the specific-factors version of the Harris-Todaro model is utilized. Formulas for the calculation of the shadow price of foreign exchange and capital are derived under alternative forms of import restrictions. It is shown that, as compared to an initial situation of capital immobility, international capital mobility, induced by reduction in alternative forms of import restrictions into the rural area is welfare enhancing.
Volume (Year): 11 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RIEJ20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RIEJ20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Khan, M. Ali, 1982. "Tariffs, foreign capital and immiserizing growth with urban unemployment and specific factors of production," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 245-256, April.
- Anderson, James E & Neary, J Peter, 1992. "Trade Reform with Quotas, Partial Rent Retention, and Tariffs," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 57-76, January.
- Markusen, James R., 1983. "Factor movements and commodity trade as complements," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3-4), pages 341-356, May.
- G. D. A. MacDougall, 1960. "THE BENEFITS and COSTS OF PRIVATE INVESTMENT FROM ABROAD: A THEORETICAL APPROACH," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 36(73), pages 13-35, 03.
- Markusen, James R. & Melvin, James R., 1979. "Tariffs, capital mobility, and foreign ownership," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 395-409, August.
- Bhagwati, Jagdish N. & Brecher, Richard A., 1980.
"National welfare in an open economy in the presence of foreign-owned factors of production,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 103-115, February.
- J. Bhagwati & R. Brecher, 1978. "National Welfare in an Open Economy in the Presence of Foreign Owned Factors of Production," Working papers 224, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Miyagiwa, Kaz, 1993. "The locational choice for free-trade zones : Rural versus urban options," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 187-203, February.
- Batra, Raveendra N & Naqvi, Nadeem, 1987. "Urban Unemployment and the Gains from Trade," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 54(215), pages 381-395, August.
- Chao, Chi-Chur & Yu, Eden S. H., 1995. "The shadow price of foreign exchange in a dual economy," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 195-202, February.
- J. Peter Neary, 1985. "International Factor Mobility, Minimum Wage Rates, and Factor-Price Equalization: A Synthesis," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 100(3), pages 551-570.
- Andrea Maneschi, 1985. "The Shadow Pricing of Factors in a Multicommodity Specific-Factors Model," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 18(4), pages 843-853, November.
- Naqvi, Nadeem & Wiener, Klaus, 1991. "External increasing returns and the shadow price of foreign exchange," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 177-184, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:intecj:v:11:y:1997:i:2:p:21-37. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.