The Theorems of International Trade with Factor Mobility
This paper addresses the relation between goods trade and international factor mobility in general terms. Conditions for factor price equalization are derived for situations with tradein both goods and factors,as well as Rybczynski and Stolper-Sarnuel Sofl theorems. A weak price versionof the Heckscher-Ohlifl theorem is presented, as well as stronger quantity versions.The basic theorems of international trade, suitably interpreted,are shown to hold in their strong versions ifthe number of international markets is at least as large as the number of factors.The crucial dimensionality issue is hence not the relative number of goods and factors per se, but the number of international markets relative to the number of factors. Only the price version of the Heckscher-Ohlifl theorem fails to be essentially preserved by this condition.
|Date of creation:||May 1983|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Ethier, Wilfred J. and Lars E.O. Svensson. "The Theorems of International Trade with Factor Mobility," Journal of International Economics, vol. 20, 1986, pp. 21-42.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deardorff, Alan V, 1980. "The General Validity of the Law of Comparative Advantage," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(5), pages 941-57, October.
- Woodland, A D, 1977. "Joint Outputs, Intermediate Inputs and International Trade Theory," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(3), pages 517-33, October.
- Chang, Winston W. & Ethier, Wilfred J. & Kemp, Murray C., 1980. "The theorems of international trade with joint production," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 377-394, August.
- Rodriguez, Carlos Alfredo, 1975. "International Factor Mobility, Nontraded Goods, and the International Equalization of Prices of Goods and Factors," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 43(1), pages 115-24, January.
- Dixit, Avinash & Woodland, Alan, 1982. "The relationship between factor endowments and commodity trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3-4), pages 201-214, November.
- Jones, Ronald W & Scheinkman, Jose A, 1977. "The Relevance of the Two-Sector Production Model in Trade Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(5), pages 909-35, October.
- Markusen, James R., 1983. "Factor movements and commodity trade as complements," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3-4), pages 341-356, May.
- Svensson, Lars E.O., 1984.
"Factor trade and goods trade,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 16(3-4), pages 365-378, May.
- Ethier, Wilfred J., 1982. "The general role of factor intensity in the theorems of international trade," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(3-4), pages 337-342.
- J. Peter Neary, 1985. "International Factor Mobility, Minimum Wage Rates, and Factor-Price Equalization: A Synthesis," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 100(3), pages 551-570.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:1115. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.