Faktorgehalt und internationaler Handel
[Factor content and international trade]
The empirical relevance of the Heckscher-Ohlin "factor abundance" theorem of international trade has been the subject of many studies, beginning with the pioneering one of Leontief (1953). Accordingly, relative factor endowments should affect observed trade patterns. The principle purpose of this paper is to demonstrate recent theoretical advances applying the factor content of trade to analyze existing relationships between factor prices and factor content as a means of testing the theorem empirically. At the empirical level, however, it is found that the literature on this important subject still offers no generally accepted answer. This may not be as surprising as first glance suggests, given the rising importance of alternative determinants of trade flows other than factor abundancyl.
|Date of creation:||1991|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yeung, Patrick & Tsang, Herbert, 1972. "Generalized Production Function and Factor-Intensity Crossovers: An Empirical Analysis," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 48(123), pages 387-99, September.
- James R. Williams, 1970. "The Resource Content in International Trade," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 3(1), pages 111-22, February.
- Ken‐ichi Inada, 1967. "A Note on the Heckscher‐Ohlin Theorem," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 43(1), pages 88-96, 03.
- Svensson, Lars E.O., 1984.
"Factor trade and goods trade,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 16(3-4), pages 365-378, May.
- Neary, J Peter & Schweinberger, Albert G, 1984.
"Factor Content Functions and the Theory of International Trade,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Neary, J Peter & Schweinberger, Albert G, 1986. "Factor Content Functions and the Theory of International Trade," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(3), pages 421-32, July.
- Gilroy, Bernard Michael, 1989. " Intra-firm Trade," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(4), pages 325-43.
- Stern, Robert M, 1976. "Some Evidence on the Factor Content of West Germany's Foreign Trade," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(1), pages 131-41, February.
- Dixit, Avinash & Woodland, Alan, 1982. "The relationship between factor endowments and commodity trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3-4), pages 201-214, November.
- Teitel, Simon, 1976. "Labor homogeneity, skill intensity and factor reversals - an international comparison," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 355-366, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:21037. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.