Goods and factors liberalization under increasing returns to scale
This paper develops a general equilibrium model with alternative forms of import restrictions, international capital mobility, and taxes on the rate of return on foreign capital in the context of a small open economy using an external increasing returns technology. Within this framework, this paper analyses the price and welfare effects of import liberalization in the presence of tax on foreign capital and of factor flows liberalization in the presence of alternative forms of import restrictions. It is shown, among other things, that, in contrast to the existing literature on constant returns to scale economy, the optimal policy towards foreign factors is possibly tax under each form of import restrictions.
Volume (Year): 10 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RJTE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RJTE20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hatta, Tatsuo, 1977. "A Theory of Piecemeal Policy Recommendations," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 1-21, February.
- Dei, Fumio, 1985. "Welfare gains from capital inflows under import quotas," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 18(2-3), pages 237-240.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:84:y:1970:i:3:p:347-85 is not listed on IDEAS
- Vandana Chandra & Nadeem Naqvi, 1997. "Protection and the Shadow Price of Foreign Exchange with Increasing Returns and International Capital Mobility," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(4), pages 959-67, November.
- Jones, Ronald W, 1987. " Tax Wedges and Mobile Capital," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 89(3), pages 335-46.
- Brecher, Richard A. & Diaz Alejandro, Carlos F., 1977. "Tariffs, foreign capital and immiserizing growth," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 317-322, November.
- J. Bhagwati & R. Brecher, 1978.
"National Welfare in an Open Economy in the Presence of Foreign Owned Factors of Production,"
224, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Bhagwati, Jagdish N. & Brecher, Richard A., 1980. "National welfare in an open economy in the presence of foreign-owned factors of production," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 103-115, February.
- Panagariya, Arvind, 1986. "Increasing returns, dynamic stability, and international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 43-63, February.
- Panos Hatzipanayotou & Michael S. Michael, 1993. "Import Restrictions, Capital Taxes, and Welfare," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 26(3), pages 727-38, August.
- Buffie, Edward, 1985. "Quantitative restrictions and the welfare effects of capital inflows," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 291-303, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:jitecd:v:10:y:2001:i:2:p:115-131. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.