Goods and factors liberalization under increasing returns to scale
This paper develops a general equilibrium model with alternative forms of import restrictions, international capital mobility, and taxes on the rate of return on foreign capital in the context of a small open economy using an external increasing returns technology. Within this framework, this paper analyses the price and welfare effects of import liberalization in the presence of tax on foreign capital and of factor flows liberalization in the presence of alternative forms of import restrictions. It is shown, among other things, that, in contrast to the existing literature on constant returns to scale economy, the optimal policy towards foreign factors is possibly tax under each form of import restrictions.
Volume (Year): 10 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RJTE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RJTE20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tatsuo Hatta, 1977. "A Theory of Piecemeal Policy Recommendations," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 44(1), pages 1-21.
- J. Peter Neary, 1988. "Welfare effects of tariffs and investment taxes," Working Papers 198801, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- J. Bhagwati & R. Brecher, 1978.
"National Welfare in an Open Economy in the Presence of Foreign Owned Factors of Production,"
224, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Bhagwati, Jagdish N. & Brecher, Richard A., 1980. "National welfare in an open economy in the presence of foreign-owned factors of production," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 103-115, February.
- Panos Hatzipanayotou & Michael S. Michael, 1993. "Import Restrictions, Capital Taxes, and Welfare," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 26(3), pages 727-38, August.
- Jones, Ronald W, 1987. " Tax Wedges and Mobile Capital," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 89(3), pages 335-46.
- Vandana Chandra & Nadeem Naqvi, 1997. "Protection and the Shadow Price of Foreign Exchange with Increasing Returns and International Capital Mobility," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(4), pages 959-67, November.
- Buffie, Edward, 1985. "Quantitative restrictions and the welfare effects of capital inflows," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 291-303, November.
- Brecher, Richard A. & Diaz Alejandro, Carlos F., 1977. "Tariffs, foreign capital and immiserizing growth," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 317-322, November.
- Panagariya, Arvind, 1986. "Increasing returns, dynamic stability, and international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 43-63, February.
- Dei, Fumio, 1985. "Welfare gains from capital inflows under import quotas," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 18(2-3), pages 237-240.
- John S. Chipman, 1970. "External Economies of Scale and Competitive Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 84(3), pages 347-385.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:jitecd:v:10:y:2001:i:2:p:115-131. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.