Education and Income Inequality in Turkey: Does Schooling Matter?
The paper examines the link between educational variables and income inequality in Turkey. First, I evaluate the impact of educational level, then I move on to assess educational inequality and finally I consider educational spending by public and private sectors. I argue that due to the limited public spending on primary and secondary education and growing private spending, the spread between socio-economic groups will not be decreased significantly.
Volume (Year): 32 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Smiciklasova 21, 10000 Zagreb|
Web page: http://www.fintp.hr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zhang, Jie, 1996. " Optimal Public Investments in Education and Endogenous Growth," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 98(3), pages 387-404.
- Tansel, Aysit, 1994.
"Wage employment, earnings and returns to schooling for men and women in Turkey,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 305-320.
- Tansel, A., 1992. "Wage Employment, Earnings and Returns to Schooling for Men and Women in Turkey," Papers 661, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Igal Hendel & Joel Shapiro & Paul Willen, 2003.
"Educational Opportunity and Income Inequality,"
89, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Igal Hendel & Joel Shapiro & Paul S. Willen, 2004. "Educational opportunity and income inequality," Public Policy Discussion Paper 04-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Paul Willen & Igal Hendel & Joel Shapiro, 2004. "Educational Opportunity and Income Inequality," NBER Working Papers 10879, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Juhn, Chinhui & Murphy, Kevin M & Pierce, Brooks, 1993. "Wage Inequality and the Rise in Returns to Skill," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(3), pages 410-42, June.
- Psacharopoulos, George, 1994.
"Returns to investment in education: A global update,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(9), pages 1325-1343, September.
- Psacharopoulos, George, 1993. "Returns to investment in education : a global update," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1067, The World Bank.
- Jimenez, Emmanuel, 1986. "The Public Subsidization of Education and Health in Developing Countries: A Review of Equity and Efficiency," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 1(1), pages 111-29, January.
- Persson, Torsten & Tabellini, Guido, 1994.
"Is Inequality Harmful for Growth?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 84(3), pages 600-621, June.
- De Gregorio, Jose & Lee, Jong-Wha, 2002. "Education and Income Inequality: New Evidence from Cross-Country Data," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 48(3), pages 395-416, September.
- Diego Restuccia & Carlos Urrutia, 2002.
"Intergenerational Persistence of Earnings: The Role of Early and College Education,"
University of Western Ontario, Economic Policy Research Institute Working Papers
20024, University of Western Ontario, Economic Policy Research Institute.
- Diego Restuccia & Carlos Urrutia, 2004. "Intergenerational Persistence of Earnings: The Role of Early and College Education," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(5), pages 1354-1378, December.
- Diego Restuccia & Carlos Urrutia, 2002. "Intergenerational Persistence of Earnings: The Role of Early and College Education," Working Papers diegor-02-03, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Diego Restuccia & Carlos Urrutia, 2002. "Intergenerational Persistence of Earnings: The Role of Early and College Education," Working Papers 0209, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
- George Psacharopoulos & Harry Anthony Patrinos, 2004.
"Returns to investment in education: a further update,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(2), pages 111-134.
- Psacharopoulos, George & Patrinos, Harry Anthony, 2002. "Returns to investment in education : a further update," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2881, The World Bank.
- Cornia, Giovanni Andrea & Kiiski, Sampsa, 2001. "Trends in Income Distribution in the Post-World War II Period Evidence and Interpretation," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Jamie S. Partridge & Mark D. Partridge & Dan S. Rickman, 1998. "State Patterns In Family Income Inequality," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 16(3), pages 277-294, 07.
- Ram, Rati, 1990. "Educational Expansion and Schooling Inequality: International Evidence and Some Implications," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(2), pages 266-74, May.
- Barry R. Chiswick, 1974. "Income Inequality: Regional Analyses within a Human Capital Framework," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number chis74-1.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ipf:finteo:v:32:y:2008:i:3:p:369-385. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martina Fabris)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.