Granularity Adjustment for Regulatory Capital Assessment
The credit value-at-risk model underpinning the internal ratings-based approach of Basel II and III assumes that idiosyncratic risk has been fully diversified in the portfolio, so that economic capital depends only on systematic risk contributions. We propose a simple granularity adjustment (GA) for approximating the effect of undiversified idiosyncratic risk on required capital. To mitigate operational burden in implementation, we derive upper and lower bounds on the GA under incomplete information on the portfolio. We assess the magnitude and accuracy of the proposed GA on a set of bank portfolios drawn from the German credit register.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gordy, Michael B., 2000.
"A comparative anatomy of credit risk models,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 119-149, January.
- Michael B. Gordy, 1998. "A comparative anatomy of credit risk models," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1998-47, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Nikola Tarashev & Claudio Borio & Kostas Tsatsaronis, 2010. "Attributing systemic risk to individual institutions," BIS Working Papers 308, Bank for International Settlements.
- Gourieroux, C. & Laurent, J. P. & Scaillet, O., 2000. "Sensitivity analysis of Values at Risk," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(3-4), pages 225-245, November.
- Gouriéroux, Christian & Laurent, J.P. & Scaillet, Olivier, 1999. "Sensitivity Analysis of Values at Risk," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2000002, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES), revised 00 Jan 2000.
- Christian Gourieroux & Jean-Paul Laurent & Olivier Scaillet, 2000. "Sensitivity Analysis of Values at Risk," Working Papers 2000-05, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Christian Gourieroux & J. P. Laurent & Olivier Scaillet, 2000. "Sensitivity Analysis of Values at Risk," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0162, Econometric Society.
- C. Gourieroux & J.P. Laurent & O. Scaillet, 2000. "Sensitivity analysis of values at risk," THEMA Working Papers 2000-04, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Gordy, Michael B. & Marrone, James, 2012. "Granularity adjustment for mark-to-market credit risk models," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 1896-1910.
- Michael B. Gordy & James Marrone, 2010. "Granularity adjustment for mark-to-market credit risk models," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2010-37, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Edward I. Altman & Brooks Brady & Andrea Resti & Andrea Sironi, 2005. "The Link between Default and Recovery Rates: Theory, Empirical Evidence, and Implications," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(6), pages 2203-2228, November.
- Susanne Emmer & Dirk Tasche, 2003. "Calculating credit risk capital charges with the one-factor model," Papers cond-mat/0302402, arXiv.org, revised Jan 2005.
- Patrick Gagliardini & Christian Gouriéroux, 2011. "Approximate Derivative Pricing for Large Classes of Homogeneous Assets with Systematic Risk," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 9(2), pages 237-280, Spring.
- Patrick GAGLIARDINI & Christian GOURIEROUX, 2010. "Approximate Derivative Pricing for Large Classes of Homogeneous Assets with Systematic Risk," Working Papers 2010-07, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Mikhail Voropaev, 2009. "Analytical Framework for Credit Portfolios. Part I: Systematic Risk," Papers 0911.0223, arXiv.org, revised Jul 2011.
- Wolfgang Gerke & Ferdinand Mager & Timo Reinschmidt & Christian Schmieder, 2008. "Empirical Risk Analysis of Pension Insurance: The Case of Germany," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 75(3), pages 763-784.
- Schmieder, Christian & Reinschmidt, Timo & Mager, Ferdinand & Gerke, Wolfgang, 2006. "Empirical risk analysis of pension insurance: the case of Germany," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2006,07, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Rockafellar, R. Tyrrell & Uryasev, Stanislav, 2002. "Conditional value-at-risk for general loss distributions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1443-1471, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ijc:ijcjou:y:2013:q:3:a:2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bank for International Settlements)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.