Sensitivity Analysis of Values at Risk
The aim of this paper is to analyze the sensitivity of Value at Risk (VaR) with respect to portfolio allocation. We derive analytical expressions for the first and second derivatives of the Value at Risk, and explain how they can be used to simplify statistical inference and to perform a local analysis of the Value at Risk. An empirical illustration of such an analysis is given for an portfolio of French stocks.
|Date of creation:||01 Jun 1999|
|Date of revision:||00 Jan 2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +32 10473945
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/ires
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Levy, Haim & Sarnat, Marshall, 1972. "Safety First — An Expected Utility Principle," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(03), pages 1829-1834, June.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Jeremy C. Stein, 1996.
"Risk Management, Capital Budgeting and Capital Structure Policy for Financial Institutions: An Integrated Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
5403, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Froot, Kenneth A. & Stein, Jeremy C., 1998. "Risk management, capital budgeting, and capital structure policy for financial institutions: an integrated approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 55-82, January.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Jeremy C. Stein, 1996. "Risk Management, Capital Budgeting and Capital Structure Policy for Financial Institutions: An Integrated Approach," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 96-28, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Christian Gourieroux & Joanna Jasiak, 1999.
"Nonlinear Innovations and Impulse Response,"
99-44, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Föllmer, Hans & Leukert, Peter, 1998. "Quantile hedging," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1998,13, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Ralph C. Kimball, 1997. "Innovations in performance measurement in banking," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue May, pages 23-38.
- Christian Gollier & Pierre-François Koehl & Jean-Charles Rochet, 1996. "Risk-Taking Behavior with Limited Liability and Risk Aversion," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 96-13, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Stoughton, Neal & Zechner, Josef, 1999. "Optimal Capital Allocation Using RAROC And EVA," CEPR Discussion Papers 2344, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Arzac, Enrique R. & Bawa, Vijay S., 1977. "Portfolio choice and equilibrium in capital markets with safety-first investors," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 277-288, May.
- David F. Babbel & Anthony M. Santomero, 1997. "Risk Management by Insurers: An Analysis of the Process," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 96-16, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Jansen, Dennis W. & Koedijk, Kees G. & de Vries, Casper G., 2000. "Portfolio selection with limited downside risk," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(3-4), pages 247-269, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ctl:louvir:2000002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne DAVISTER-LOGIST)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.