Which factors determine academic performance of Economics freshers? Some Spanish evidence
This paper analyses the impact of several factors potentially affecting academic performance of first-year undergraduates (freshers) in Economics at Universidad Carlos III de Madrid during 2002-2005. Outcomes are the grades obtained in three core subjects which differ substantially in their requirements of math skills. Our main finding is that those students who completed a technical track at high school tend to perform much better in math-intensive subjects than those who followed a social sciences track and that the latter do not perform better in subjects where prior training in economics is bound to be helpful.
Volume (Year): 33 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.fundacionsepi.es/
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.fundacionsepi.es/revistas/presentacion.asp Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lagerlöf, Johan N. M. & Seltzer, Andrew J, 2008.
"The Effects of Remedial Mathematics on the Learning of Economics: Evidence from a Natural Experiment,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6895, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Johan N. M. Lagerl�f & Andrew J. Seltzer, 2009. "The Effects of Remedial Mathematics on the Learning of Economics: Evidence from a Natural Experiment," The Journal of Economic Education, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(2), pages 115-137, April.
- Anne Case & Angus Deaton, 1999. "School Inputs And Educational Outcomes In South Africa," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 114(3), pages 1047-1084, August.
- Eric A. Hanushek, .
"Interpreting Recent Research on Schooling in Developing Countries,"
Wallis Working Papers
WP3, University of Rochester - Wallis Institute of Political Economy.
- Hanushek, Eric A, 1995. "Interpreting Recent Research on Schooling in Developing Countries," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 10(2), pages 227-46, August.
- Lorraine Dearden & Javier Ferri & Costas Meghir, 2002.
"The Effect Of School Quality On Educational Attainment And Wages,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 84(1), pages 1-20, February.
- Lorraine Dearden & Javier Ferri & Costas Meghir, 1998. "The effect of school quality on educational attainment and wages," IFS Working Papers W98/03, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Lorraine Dearden & Javier Ferri & Costas Meghir, 2000. "The effect of school quality on educational attainment and wages," IFS Working Papers W00/22, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Hanushek, Eric A, 1986. "The Economics of Schooling: Production and Efficiency in Public Schools," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 24(3), pages 1141-77, September.
- Juan José Dolado & E. Morales, 2007.
"Which Factors Determine Academic Performance of Undergraduate Students in Economics?: Some Spanish Evidence,"
- Dolado, Juan J. & Morales, Eduardo, 2007. "Which Factors Determine Academic Performance of Undergraduate Students in Economics? Some Spanish Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 6237, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Stéphane Bonhomme & Ulrich Sauder, 2009. "Accounting For Unobservables In Comparing Selective And Comprehensive Schooling," Working Papers wp2009_0906, CEMFI.
- Glewwe, Paul & Kremer, Michael, 2006. "Schools, Teachers, and Education Outcomes in Developing Countries," Handbook of the Economics of Education, Elsevier.
- Smith, Jeremy & Naylor, Robin, 2001. " Determinants of Degree Performance in UK Universities: A Statistical Analysis of the 1993 Student Cohort," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 63(1), pages 29-60, February.
- Jesse Levin, 2001. "For whom the reductions count: A quantile regression analysis of class size and peer effects on scholastic achievement," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 221-246.
- Petra E. Todd & Kenneth I. Wolpin, 2003. "On The Specification and Estimation of The Production Function for Cognitive Achievement," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(485), pages F3-F33, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iec:inveco:v:33:y:2009:i:2:p:179-210. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Isabel Sánchez-Seco)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.