On the private provision of public goods: a diagrammatic exposition
This paper surveys a selection of the literature on the private provision of public goods using the Kolm triangle. (The Kolm triangle is the analogue of an Edgeworth box in an economy with a public good.) We provide simple geometrical proofs of various established results using this graphical device. Our reference framework is the model of private contributions to public goods developed by Bergstrom, Blume and Varian (1986). With the Kolm triangle, we can easily study the existence and uniqueness of Nash equilibria, the effects of redistribution of the initial wealth, the level of provision in Stackelberg equilibria, the effects of subsidizing private contributions, and the implementation of Lindahl equilibria.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 20 (1996)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.fundacionsepi.es/Email:
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.fundacionsepi.es/revistas/presentacion.asp Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Danziger, Leif, 1976. "A graphic representation of the Nash and Lindahl equilibria in an economy with a public good," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 295-307, October.
- Boadway, Robin & Pestieau, Pierre & Wildasin, David, 1989.
"Tax-transfer policies and the voluntary provision of public goods,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 157-176, July.
- BOADWAY, Robin & PESTIEAU, Pierre & WILDASIN, David, . "Tax-transfer policies and the voluntary provision of public goods," CORE Discussion Papers RP -856, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Boadway,Robin & Pestieau,Pierre & Wildasin,David, 1986. "Tax-transfer policies and the voluntary provision of public goods," Discussion Paper Serie A 130, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Boadway, R.W. & Pestieau, P. & Wildasin, D.E., 1987. "Tax-transfer policies and the voluntary provision of public goods," CORE Discussion Papers 1987019, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Robin Boadway & Pierre Pestieau & David Wildasin, 1987. "Tax-Transfer Policies and the Voluntary Provision of Public Goods," Working Papers 682, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Varian, H.R., 1989.
"Sequential Provision Of Public Goods,"
89-17, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Hal R. Varian, 1994. "Sequential Provision of Public Goods," Public Economics 9401003, EconWPA.
- Varian, H.R., 1991. "Sequential Provision of Public Goods," Papers 14, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Varian, H.R., 1990. "Sequential Provision Of Public Goods," Papers 90-02, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Schlesinger, Harris, 1989. "On the Analytics of Pure Public Good Provision," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 44(1), pages 102-09.
- Graciela Chichilnisky & Geoffrey Heal, 1993.
"Who Should Abate Carbon Emissions? An International Viewpoint,"
NBER Working Papers
4425, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chichilnisky, Graciela & Heal, Geoffrey, 1994. "Who should abate carbon emissions? : An international viewpoint," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 443-449, April.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521477185 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bergstrom, Theodore & Blume, Lawrence & Varian, Hal, 1986. "On the private provision of public goods," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 25-49, February.
- Cornes, Richard & Sandler, Todd, 1985. "The Simple Analytics of Pure Public Good Provision," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 52(205), pages 103-16, February.
- Hoel, Michael, 1991.
"Global environmental problems: The effects of unilateral actions taken by one country,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 55-70, January.
- Hoel, M., 1989. "Global Environmental Problems: The Effects Of Unilateral Actions Taken By One Country," Memorandum 11/1989, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Thomson, William, 1999. " Economies with Public Goods: An Elementary Geometric Exposition," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 1(1), pages 139-76.
- Shibata, Hirofumi, 1971. "A Bargaining Model of the Pure Theory of Public Expenditure," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(1), pages 1-29, Jan.-Feb..
- Chander, Parkash, 1993. "Dynamic Procedures and Incentives in Public Good Economies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(6), pages 1341-54, November.
- Konrad, Kai A & Lommerud, Kjell Erik, 1995. " Family Policy with Non-cooperative Families," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 97(4), pages 581-601, December.
- Wilson, L. S., 1992. "The Harambee movement and efficient public good provision in Kenya," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 1-19, June.
- Kemp, Murray C., 1984. "A note of the theory of international transfers," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 14(2-3), pages 259-262.
- Gradstein, Mark & Nitzan, Shmuel & Slutsky, Steven, 1994. "Neutrality and the private provision of public goods with incomplete information," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 69-75, September.
- Danziger, Leif & Schnytzer, Adi, 1991. "Implementing the Lindahl voluntary-exchange mechanism," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 55-64, April.
- Bergstrom, Ted, 1989. "Love and Spaghetti, the Opportunity Cost of Virtue," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 3(2), pages 165-73, Spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iec:inveco:v:20:y:1996:i:1:p:105-123. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Isabel Sánchez-Seco)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.