Vagueness, credibility, and government policy
A discussion of the reasons why it may be in a government agency's--and society's--best interest to be vague about policy objectives. Using the concept of "cheap talk," the author explains that when an agency faces a trade-off between precise and credible announcements, its best move may be to provide truthful but limited information.
Volume (Year): (1995)
Issue (Month): Q I ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1455 East 6th St., Cleveland OH 44114|
Web page: http://www.clevelandfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goodfriend, Marvin, 1986.
"Monetary mystique: Secrecy and central banking,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 63-92, January.
- Kenneth Spong, 2000.
"Banking regulation : its purposes, implementation, and effects,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, number 2000bria, April.
- Kenneth Spong, 1994. "Banking regulation : its purpose, implementation, and effects," Monograph, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, number 1994bria, April.
- Steven A. Matthews & M. Okuno-Fujiwara & Andrew Postlewaite, 1990.
"Refining Cheap-Talk Equilibria,"
892R, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- V. Crawford & J. Sobel, 2010.
"Strategic Information Transmission,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
544, David K. Levine.
- Buser, Stephen A & Chen, Andrew H & Kane, Edward J, 1981. "Federal Deposit Insurance, Regulatory Policy, and Optimal Bank Capital," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(1), pages 51-60, March.
- Michael Spence, 1973. "Job Market Signaling," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 87(3), pages 355-374.
- Stein, Jeremy C, 1989. "Cheap Talk and the Fed: A Theory of Imprecise Policy Announcements," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 32-42, March.
- Kane, Edward J., 1980. "Politics and Fed policymaking : The more things change the more they remain the same," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 199-211, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedcer:y:1995:i:qi:p:13-19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (4D Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.