Striving to Be “Clearly Open” and “Crystal Clear”: Monetary Policy Communication of the CNB
The Czech National Bank has a respectable track record in terms of its policy actions and the corresponding inflation outturns. The authors analyze its main communication tools – inflation targets, inflation forecasts, verbal assessments of the inflation risks contained in quarterly inflation reports, and the voting within the CNB Board – to assess clarity of communication. They find that these tools provided a very clear message in about three out of every four observations in our 2001–2005 sample.
Volume (Year): 57 (2007)
Issue (Month): 11-12 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +420 2 222112330
Fax: +420 2 22112304
Web page: http://ies.fsv.cuni.cz/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rozkrut, Marek & Rybinski, Krzysztof & Sztaba, Lucyna & Szwaja, Radoslaw, 2007. "Quest for central bank communication: Does it pay to be "talkative"?," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 176-206, March.
- Georgios Chortareas & David Stasavage & Gabriel Sterne, 2002.
"Does it pay to be transparent? international evidence form central bank forecasts,"
Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 99-118.
- Georgios Chortareas & David Stasavage & Gabriel Sterne, 2001. "Does it pay to be transparent? International evidence from central bank forecasts," Bank of England working papers 143, Bank of England.
- Geraats, P.M., 2001.
"Why Adopt Transparency? The Publication of Central Bank Forecasts,"
41, Quebec a Montreal - Recherche en gestion.
- Petra M. Geraats, 2001. "Why Adopt Transparency? The Publication of Central Bank Forecasts," Macroeconomics 0012011, EconWPA.
- Geraats, Petra M., 2000. "Why Adopt Transparency? The Publication of Central Bank Forecasts," Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series qt0hw7h7cp, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Geraats, Petra M, 2000. "Why Adopt Transparency? The Publication of Central Bank Forecasts," CEPR Discussion Papers 2582, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Geraats, Petra M., 2001. "Why adopt transparency? The publication of central bank forecasts," Working Paper Series 0041, European Central Bank.
- Q. Farooq Akram & Yakov Ben-Haim & Øyvind Eitrheim, 2006. "Managing uncertainty through robust-satisficing monetary policy," Working Paper 2006/10, Norges Bank.
- Eijffinger, Sylvester C W & Geraats, Petra M, 2002.
"How Transparent are Central Banks?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3188, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eijffinger, S.C.W. & Geraats, P.M., 2004. "How Transparent Are Central Banks?," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0411, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Eijffinger, S.C.W. & Geraats, P., 2006. "How transparent are central banks?," Other publications TiSEM b34dfb1f-520f-4787-a08f-5, School of Economics and Management.
- Mikael Apel & Anders Vredin, 2007. "Monetary-Policy Communication: The Experience of the Swedish Riksbank," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 57(11-12), pages 499-520, December.
- Bulir, Ales & Hurnik, Jaromir, 2006.
"The Maastricht inflation criterion: How unpleasant is purgatory?,"
Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 385-404, December.
- Ales Bulir & JaromÃr HurnÃk, 2006. "The Maastricht Inflation Criterion; How Unpleasant is Purgatory?," IMF Working Papers 06/154, International Monetary Fund.
- Marcel Peter & Scott Roger & Geoffrey Heenan, 2006. "Implementing Inflation Targeting; Institutional Arrangements, Target Design, and Communications," IMF Working Papers 06/278, International Monetary Fund.
- Bernanke, Ben S & Woodford, Michael, 1997.
"Inflation Forecasts and Monetary Policy,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(4), pages 653-84, November.
- Viktor Kotlán & David Navrátil, 2003.
"Inflation Targeting as a Stabilization Tool: Its Design and Performance in the Czech Republic,"
Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver),
Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 53(5-6), pages 220-242, May.
- Viktor Kotlan & David Navratil, 2003. "Inflation Targeting as a Stabilisation Tool: Its Design and Performance in the Czech Republic," Macroeconomics 0310006, EconWPA.
- Martin Fukac, 2006. "New Keynesian Model Dynamics under Heterogeneous Expectations and Adaptive Learning," Working Papers 2006/5, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Lavan Mahadeva & Kateřina Šmídková, 2001. "What is the optimal rate of disinflation to be targeted in the czech economy?," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2001(2).
- Lavan Mahadeva & Katerina Smidkova, 2001.
"What Is the Appropriate Rate of Disinflation to Be Targeted in the Czech Economy?,"
Archive of Monetary Policy Division Working Papers
2001/33, Czech National Bank.
- Lavan Mahadeva & Katerina Smidkova, 2003. "What is the Appropriate Rate of Disinflation to Be Targeted in the Czech Economy?," Macroeconomics 0303015, EconWPA.
- Andrew G. Haldane & Nicoletta Batini, 1998.
"Forward-Looking Rules for Monetary Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
6543, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Winkler, Bernhard, 2000. "Which kind of transparency? On the need for clarity in monetary policy-making," Working Paper Series 0026, European Central Bank.
- Jan Filacek & Luboš Komárek & Petr Král, 2007. "Why Central Bankers Should Disclose: Interest Rate Forecast," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 57(11-12), pages 558-576, December.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-172467 is not listed on IDEAS
- Richard Dennis & John C. Williams, 2007. "Monetary policy, transparency, and credibility: conference summary," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue may25.
- Mariusz Jarmuzek & Lucjan T. Orlowski & Artur Radziwill, 2004. "Monetary Policy Transparency in Inflation Targeting Countries: the Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland," CASE Network Studies and Analyses 0281, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fau:fauart:v:57:y:2007:i:11-12:p:540-557. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lenka Herrmannova)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.