Striving to Be “Clearly Open” and “Crystal Clear”: Monetary Policy Communication of the CNB
The Czech National Bank has a respectable track record in terms of its policy actions and the corresponding inflation outturns. The authors analyze its main communication tools – inflation targets, inflation forecasts, verbal assessments of the inflation risks contained in quarterly inflation reports, and the voting within the CNB Board – to assess clarity of communication. They find that these tools provided a very clear message in about three out of every four observations in our 2001–2005 sample.
Volume (Year): 57 (2007)
Issue (Month): 11-12 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +420 2 222112330
Fax: +420 2 22112304
Web page: http://ies.fsv.cuni.cz/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ales Bulir & JaromÃr HurnÃk, 2006.
"The Maastricht Inflation Criterion: How Unpleasant Is Purgatory?,"
IMF Working Papers
06/154, International Monetary Fund.
- Bulir, Ales & Hurnik, Jaromir, 2006. "The Maastricht inflation criterion: How unpleasant is purgatory?," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 385-404, December.
- Eijffinger, Sylvester C.W. & Geraats, Petra M., 2006.
"How transparent are central banks?,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 1-21, March.
- Eijffinger, Sylvester C W & Geraats, Petra M, 2002. "How Transparent are Central Banks?," CEPR Discussion Papers 3188, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eijffinger, S.C.W. & Geraats, P.M., 2004. "How Transparent Are Central Banks?," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0411, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Eijffinger, S.C.W. & Geraats, P., 2006. "How transparent are central banks?," Other publications TiSEM b34dfb1f-520f-4787-a08f-5, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Rozkrut, Marek & Rybinski, Krzysztof & Sztaba, Lucyna & Szwaja, Radoslaw, 2007. "Quest for central bank communication: Does it pay to be "talkative"?," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 176-206, March.
- Bernanke, Ben S & Woodford, Michael, 1997.
"Inflation Forecasts and Monetary Policy,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(4), pages 653-84, November.
- Lavan Mahadeva & Kateřina Šmídková, 2001. "What is the optimal rate of disinflation to be targeted in the czech economy?," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2001(2).
- Martin Fukac, 2006. "New Keynesian Model Dynamics under Heterogeneous Expectations and Adaptive Learning," Working Papers 2006/5, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Georgios Chortareas & David Stasavage & Gabriel Sterne, 2001.
"Does it pay to be transparent? International evidence from central bank forecasts,"
Bank of England working papers
143, Bank of England.
- Georgios Chortareas & David Stasavage & Gabriel Sterne, 2002. "Does it pay to be transparent? international evidence form central bank forecasts," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 99-118.
- Richard Dennis & John C. Williams, 2007. "Monetary policy, transparency, and credibility: conference summary," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue may25.
- Geraats, Petra M., 2001.
"Why adopt transparency? The publication of central bank forecasts,"
Working Paper Series
0041, European Central Bank.
- Geraats, Petra M, 2000. "Why Adopt Transparency? The Publication of Central Bank Forecasts," CEPR Discussion Papers 2582, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Geraats, Petra M., 2000. "Why Adopt Transparency? The Publication of Central Bank Forecasts," Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series qt0hw7h7cp, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Geraats, P.M., 2001. "Why Adopt Transparency? The Publication of Central Bank Forecasts," Papers 41, Quebec a Montreal - Recherche en gestion.
- Petra M. Geraats, 2001. "Why Adopt Transparency? The Publication of Central Bank Forecasts," Macroeconomics 0012011, EconWPA.
- Marcel Peter & Scott Roger & Geoffrey Heenan, 2006. "Implementing Inflation Targeting: Institutional Arrangements, Target Design, and Communications," IMF Working Papers 06/278, International Monetary Fund.
- Mariusz Jarmuzek & Lucjan T. Orlowski & Artur Radziwill, 2004. "Monetary Policy Transparency in Inflation Targeting Countries: the Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland," CASE Network Studies and Analyses 0281, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fau:fauart:v:57:y:2007:i:11-12:p:540-557. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lenka Herrmannova)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.