Outward Labour Migration in the Czech Republic, Poland and Slovakia after the EU Enlargement in 2004
This paper analyzes the outward labour migration from the Czech Republic, Poland and Slovakia to predominantly EU15 countries. It describes the incentives for emigration and evaluates the effect of the EU accession in 2004 for all three countries using the regional data. Our empirical estimation suggests that while outward labour migration from Poland was positively related to lagged emigration and negatively related to employment rate and average real wage, this relationship was less obvious and significant in the case of the Czech Republic and Slovakia. In addition, our results also imply that the EU accession had only indirect impact on emigration for three countries in question.
Volume (Year): 7 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Opletalova 26, CZ-110 00 Prague|
Phone: +420 2 222112330
Fax: +420 2 22112304
Web page: http://ies.fsv.cuni.cz/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://auco.cuni.cz/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wadim Strielkowski & Cathal O’Donoghue, 2006.
"Ready to Go? EU Enlargement and Migration Potential: Lessons for the Czech Republic in the Context of Irish Migration Experience,"
Prague Economic Papers,
University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2006(1), pages 14-28.
- Wadim Strielkowski & Cathal O'Donoghue, 2005. "Ready to go? EU Enlargement and migration potential: lessons for the Czech Republic in the context of Irish migration experience," Working Papers 102, National University of Ireland Galway, Department of Economics, revised 2005.
- Katz, Eliakim & Stark, Oded, 1986. "Labor Migration and Risk Aversion in Less Developed Countries," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 4(1), pages 134-49, January.
- Wadim Strielkowski, 2007. "A Living Worth Leaving? Economic Incentives and Migration Flows: The Case of Czechoslovak Labour Migration," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2007(3), pages 252-264.
- Ondřej Glazar & Wadim Strielkowski, 2009.
"Turkey and the European Union: possible incidence of the EU accession on migration flows,"
Working Papers IES
2009/15, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Apr 2009.
- Ondřej Glazar & Wadim Strielkowski, 2010. "Turkey and the European Union: Possible Incidence of the EU Accession on Migration Flows," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2010(3), pages 218-235.
- Harris, John R & Todaro, Michael P, 1970. "Migration, Unemployment & Development: A Two-Sector Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(1), pages 126-42, March.
- Rotte, Ralph & Vogler, Michael, 1998.
"Determinants of International Migration: Empirical Evidence for Migration from Developing Countries to Germany,"
IZA Discussion Papers
12, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Rotte, Ralph & Vogler, Michael, 1998. "Determinants of International Migration: Empirical Evidence for Migration from Developing Countries to Germany," CEPR Discussion Papers 1920, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gordon H. Hanson, 2005.
"Emigration, Labor Supply, and Earnings in Mexico,"
NBER Working Papers
11412, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abdurrahman Aydemir & George J. Borjas, 2006. "A Comparative Analysis of the Labor Market Impact of International Migration: Canada, Mexico, and the United States," NBER Working Papers 12327, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zhao, Yaohui, 1999. "Labor Migration and Earnings Differences: The Case of Rural China," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(4), pages 767-82, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fau:aucocz:au2013_042. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lenka Stastna)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.