Features of Urban Food and Nutrition Security and Considerations for Successful Urban Programming
In this paper we discuss the wide disparities that exist in childhood malnutrition, food insecurity and livelihoods within urban areas which, when combined with the mobility of urban residents, add to the complexity of designing, targeting and implementing urban programmes. Livelihood security in urban areas is dependent on cash income, especially for food expenditures, and hence employment. For women, employment brings about the need for support with childcare; we analyse a programme that provides the double benefit of delivering affordable and reliable childcare for extended hours, and allowing women to secure a more formal employment and obtaining employment benefits. Other factors that need to be considered in shaping urban programmes include land and housing security, the crime and violence situation, the availability and nature of social networks, and governance issues. Finally, we discuss potential strategic responses to the challenges of urban programming.
Volume (Year): 1 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39(6) 57051
Fax: +39 06 57055522
Web page: http://www.fao.org/es/esa/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engle, Patrice L. & Menon, Purnima & Haddad, Lawrence, 1999. "Care and Nutrition: Concepts and Measurement," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 1309-1337, August.
- Pradhan, M.P. & van Soest, A.H.O., 1997.
"Household labor supply in urban areas of Bolivia,"
Other publications TiSEM
dba82438-cf2e-4d92-975b-a, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Pius B. Simon, 1998. "Informal Responses to Crises of Urban Employment: An Investigation into the Structure and Relevance of Small-scale Informal Retailing in Kaduna, Nigeria," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(6), pages 547-557, August.
- Garrett, James, 2004.
FCND discussion papers
171, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Ruel, Marie T. & Haddad, Lawrence & Garrett, James L., 1999. "Some Urban Facts of Life: Implications for Research and Policy," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(11), pages 1917-1938, November.
- Menon, Purnima & Ruel, Marie T. & Morris, Saul Sutkover, 2000.
"Socio-economic differentials in child stunting are consistently larger in urban than rural areas,"
FCND discussion papers
97, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Menon, Purnima & Ruel, Marie T. & Morris, Saul Sutkover, 2000. "Socio-economic differentials in child stunting are consistently larger in urban than rural areas," FCND briefs 97, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Ruel, Marie T. & Garrett, James L. & Morris, Saul Sutkover & Maxwell, Daniel G. & Oshaug, Arne & Engle, Patrice L. & Menon, Purnima & Slack, Alison T. & Haddad, Lawrence James, 1998. "Urban challenges to food and nutrition security," FCND discussion papers 51, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Garrett, James L., ed. & Ruel, Marie T., ed., 2000. "Achieving urban food and nutrition security in the developing world:," 2020 vision focus 3, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Garrett, James L. & Ruel, Marie T., 1999. "Food and Nutrition in an Urbanizing World," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 14(4).
- Glick, Peter & Sahn, David E, 1998. "Maternal Labour Supply and Child Nutrition in West Africa," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 60(3), pages 325-55, August.
- Portes, Alejandro & Blitzer, Silvia & Curtis, John, 1986. "The urban informal sector in Uruguay: Its internal structure, characteristics, and effects," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 727-741, June.
- Dave D. Weatherspoon & Thomas Reardon, 2003. "The Rise of Supermarkets in Africa: Implications for Agrifood Systems and the Rural Poor," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 21, pages 333-355, 05.
- Garrett, James L. & Ruel, Marie T., 1999. "Are determinants of rural and urban food security and nutritional status different?," FCND discussion papers 65, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fao:tejade:v:1:y:2004:i:2:p:242-271. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gustavo Anríquez)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Gustavo Anríquez to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.