Analysing the Drivers of Services Firm Performance: Evidence for Ireland
We examine drivers of firm performance using a holistic multivariate model which relates services firm growth to firm-characteristic, firm strategy and macroeconomic variables. Using data for 905 services firms in Ireland over the period 2001-2007, we employ System Generalised Method of Moments estimations and multiple firm performance measures to address the possible endogeneity and multidimensionality of firm-level performance. This paper provides empirical evidence on the factors determining services firm performance and the channels through which this occurs. Results confirm the importance of macroeconomic conditions for firm performance. We also find that small services firms in Ireland grew quicker during this period.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harald Oberhofer, 2012.
"Firm Growth, European Industry Dynamics and Domestic Business Cycles,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 59(3), pages 316-337, 07.
- Harald Oberhofer, 2009. "Firm growth, European industry dynamics and domestic business cycles," Working Papers 2009-18, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Harald Oberhofer, 2010. "Firm Growth, European Industry Dynamics and Domestic Business Cycles," WIFO Working Papers 377, WIFO.
- Harald Oberhofer, 2010. "Firm growth, European industry dynamics and domestic business cycles," FIW Working Paper series 055, FIW.
- Mercedes Teruel-Carrizosa, 2010. "Gibrat’s law and the learning process," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 34(4), pages 355-373, May.
- Helena Lenihan & Bernadette Andreosso-O’Callaghan & Mark Hart, 2010. "SMEs in a Globalised World: Conceptual Issues," Chapters,in: SMEs in a Globalised World, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Audretsch, David B., 1995. "Innovation, growth and survival," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 441-457, December.
- Paulo Nunes & Zélia Serrasqueiro & João Leitão, 2013. "Assessing the nonlinear nature of the effects of R&D intensity on growth of SMEs: a dynamic panel data approach," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 97-128, January.
- Alex Bryson & Satu Nurmi, 2011. "Private sector employment growth, 1998--2004: a panel analysis of British workplaces," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(1), pages 85-104.
- Alex Bryson & Satu Nurmi, 2008. "Private sector employment growth, 1998-2004: a panel analysis of British workplaces," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19619, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Alex Bryson & Satu Nurmi, 2008. "Private Sector Employment Growth, 1998-2004: A Panel Analysis of British Workplaces," CEP Discussion Papers dp0861, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- David Roodman, 2009. "How to do xtabond2: An introduction to difference and system GMM in Stata," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 9(1), pages 86-136, March.
- David Roodman, 2006. "How to Do xtabond2: An Introduction to "Difference" and "System" GMM in Stata," Working Papers 103, Center for Global Development.
- David Bailey & Helena Lenihan, 2015. "A Critical Reflection on Irish Industrial Policy: A Strategic Choice Approach," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(1), pages 47-71, February.
- Erik Stam, 2010. "Growth beyond Gibrat: firm growth processes and strategies," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 129-135, September.
- Sean Holly & Ivan Petrella & Emiliano Santoro, 2013. "Aggregate fluctuations and the cross-sectional dynamics of firm growth," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 176(2), pages 459-479, 02.
- Sean HOLLY & Ivan PETRELLA & Emiliano SANTORO, 2011. "Aggregate fluctuations and the cross-sectional dynamics of firm growth," Working Papers Department of Economics ces11.06, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Goedhuys, Micheline, 2007. "The impact of innovation activities on productivity and firm growth: evidence from Brazil," MERIT Working Papers 002, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Thorsten Beck & Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Vojislav Maksimovic, 2005. "Financial and Legal Constraints to Growth: Does Firm Size Matter?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(1), pages 137-177, 02.
- Evans, David S, 1987. "The Relationship between Firm Growth, Size, and Age: Estimates for 100 Manufacturing Industries," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 567-581, June.
- Evans, David S., 1986. "The Relationship Between Firm Growth, Size, and Age: Estimates for 100 Manufacturing Industries," Working Papers 86-33, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-670, May.
- Davide Castellani & Francesco Serti & Chiara Tomasi, 2010. "Firms in International Trade: Importers' and Exporters' Heterogeneity in Italian Manufacturing Industry," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(3), pages 424-457, March.
- John Sutton, 1997. "Gibrat's Legacy," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 40-59, March.
- Gil, Pedro Mazeda, 2010. "Stylised facts and other empirical evidence on firm dynamics, business cycle and growth," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 73-80, June.
- Pedro Rui Mazeda Gil, 2008. "Stylized Facts and Other Empirical Evidence on Firm Dynamics, Business Cycle and Growth," FEP Working Papers 276, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Alexander Vogel & Joachim Wagner, 2010. "Higher productivity in importing German manufacturing firms: self-selection, learning from importing, or both?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 145(4), pages 641-665, January.
- Vogel, Alexander & Wagner, Joachim, 2008. "Higher Productivity in Importing German Manufacturing Firms: Self-Selection, Learning from Importing, or Both?," IZA Discussion Papers 3854, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alexander Vogel & Joachim Wagner, 2008. "Higher Productivity in Importing German Manufacturing Firms: Self-selection, Learning from Importing, or Both?," Working Paper Series in Economics 106, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- World Bank, 2012. "World Development Indicators 2012," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6014, April.
- Girma, Sourafel & Görg, Holger & Strobl, Eric & Walsh, Frank, 2008. "Creating jobs through public subsidies: An empirical analysis," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 1179-1199, December.
- Girma, Sourafel & Görg, Holger & Strobl, Eric & Walsh, Frank, 2007. "Creating Jobs Through Public Subsidies: An Empirical Analysis," IZA Discussion Papers 3168, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sourafel Girmaa & Holger Görg & Eric Strobl & Frank Walsh, 2008. "Creating jobs through public subsidies : an empirical analysis," Open Access publications 10197/185, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Sven-Olov Daunfeldt & Niklas Elert, 2013. "When is Gibrat’s law a law?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 41(1), pages 133-147, June.
- Daunfeldt, Sven-Olov & Elert, Niklas, 2010. "When is Gibrat's Law a Law?," HUI Working Papers 45, HUI Research.
- Daunfeldt, Sven-Olov & Elert, Niklas, 2010. "When is Gibrat's Law a Law?," Ratio Working Papers 158, The Ratio Institute.
- Kim P. Huynh & Robert J. Petrunia & Marcel Voia, 2010. "THE IMPACT OF INITIAL FINANCIAL STATE ON FIRM DURATION ACROSS ENTRY COHORTS -super-," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(3), pages 661-689, 09.
- Stefanie A. Haller, 2012. "Intra-firm trade, exporting, importing, and firm performance," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1397-1430, November.
- Jeffrey M Wooldridge, 2010. "Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 0262232588, December.
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2001. "Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262232197, January.
- Richard E. Caves, 1998. "Industrial Organization and New Findings on the Turnover and Mobility of Firms," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(4), pages 1947-1982, December.
- Mariana Mazzucato & Stuart Parris, 2015. "High-growth firms in changing competitive environments: the US pharmaceutical industry (1963 to 2002)," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 44(1), pages 145-170, January.
- Seamus Grimes, 2006. "Ireland's Emergence as a Centre for Internationally Traded Services," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(9), pages 1041-1054.
- Werner Hölzl, 2014. "Persistence, survival, and growth: a closer look at 20 years of fast-growing firms in Austria," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(1), pages 199-231, February.
- Martina Lawless, 2014. "Age or size? Contributions to job creation," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 42(4), pages 815-830, April.
- Georgios Fotopoulos & Ioannis Giotopoulos, 2010. "Gibrat’s law and persistence of growth in Greek manufacturing," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 191-202, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eso:journl:v:47:y:2016:i:2:p:213-245. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martina Lawless)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.