A note on capital structure target adjustment – Indonesian evidence
Purpose - The purpose of this paper is to investigate whether existing capital structure target adjustment models are able to identify whether companies adjust their capital structures towards an (unobservable) target. Design/methodology/approach - Existing capital structure target adjustment models are applied to a specific dataset by using different regression techniques (ordinary least square, fixed effect, Fama-MacBeth, least square dummy variable “corrected”, SYS-GMM). Findings - Existing capital structure target adjustment models are not able to identify whether companies adjust their capital structures towards a target or not. They might indeed indicate target adjustment behaviour when companies' capital structures actually move away from their targets. Research limitations/implications - As target adjustment behaviour is often used as support for the trade-off and against the pecking order theory, the “horse race” between both theories seems still to be open. Originality/value - This paper highlights some of the fallacies of existing capital structure target adjustment models and demonstrates that the results obtained by those models can be highly misleading.
Volume (Year): 6 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/journals.htm?id=ijmf Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- D'Mello, Ranjan & Farhat, Joseph, 2008. "A comparative analysis of proxies for an optimal leverage ratio," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 213-227, August.
- Maurice J. G. Bun & Frank Windmeijer, 2010.
"The weak instrument problem of the system GMM estimator in dynamic panel data models,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 13(1), pages 95-126, 02.
- Maurice Bun & Frank Windmeijer, 2007. "The weak instrument problem of the system GMM estimator in dynamic panel data models," CeMMAP working papers CWP08/07, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Maurice J.G. Bun & Frank Windmeijer, 2009. "The Weak Instrument Problem of the System GMM Estimator in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 09-086/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Maurice J.G. Bun & Frank Windmeijer, 2007. "The Weak Instrument Problem of the System GMM Estimator in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Bristol Economics Discussion Papers 07/595, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
IFS Working Papers
W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Steve Bond, 2002. "Dynamic panel data models: a guide to microdata methods and practice," CeMMAP working papers CWP09/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Maurice J.G. Bun & Jan F. Kiviet, 2002.
"On the Diminishing Returns of Higher-order Terms in Asymptotic Expansions of Bias,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
02-099/4, Tinbergen Institute, revised 24 Oct 2002.
- Bun, Maurice J. G. & Kiviet, Jan F., 2003. "On the diminishing returns of higher-order terms in asymptotic expansions of bias," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 145-152, May.
- Buddelmeyer, Hielke & Jensen, Paul H. & Oguzoglu, Umut & Webster, Elizabeth, 2008. "Fixed Effects Bias in Panel Data Estimators," IZA Discussion Papers 3487, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Judson, Ruth A. & Owen, Ann L., 1999. "Estimating dynamic panel data models: a guide for macroeconomists," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 9-15, October.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990.
"Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995. "Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- Michael R. Roberts & Mark T. Leary, 2004.
"Do Firms Rebalance Their Capital Structures?,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings
52, Econometric Society.
- Altman, Edward I, 1984. " A Further Empirical Investigation of the Bankruptcy Cost Question," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1067-89, September.
- Bruno, Giovanni S.F., 2005.
"Approximating the bias of the LSDV estimator for dynamic unbalanced panel data models,"
Elsevier, vol. 87(3), pages 361-366, June.
- Giovanni S.F. Bruno, 2004. "Approximating the Bias of the LSDV Estimator for Dynamic Unbalanced Panel Data Models," KITeS Working Papers 159, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jul 2004.
- Flannery, Mark J. & Rangan, Kasturi P., 2006. "Partial adjustment toward target capital structures," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 469-506, March.
- Fama, Eugene F & MacBeth, James D, 1973. "Risk, Return, and Equilibrium: Empirical Tests," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 607-36, May-June.
- Ralph Haas & Marga Peeters, 2006. "The dynamic adjustment towards target capital structures of firms in transition economies ," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 14(1), pages 133-169, 03.
- Windmeijer, Frank, 2005. "A finite sample correction for the variance of linear efficient two-step GMM estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 25-51, May.
- Ivo Welch, 2004.
"Capital Structure and Stock Returns,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(1), pages 106-131, February.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Dirk Brounen & Abe de Jong & Kees Koedijk, 2004. "Corporate Finance in Europe: Confronting Theory with Practice," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 33(4), Winter.
- Michael L. Lemmon & Michael R. Roberts & Jaime F. Zender, 2008. "Back to the Beginning: Persistence and the Cross-Section of Corporate Capital Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 63(4), pages 1575-1608, 08.
- Antoniou, Antonios & Guney, Yilmaz & Paudyal, Krishna, 2008. "The Determinants of Capital Structure: Capital Market-Oriented versus Bank-Oriented Institutions," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 43(01), pages 59-92, March.
- Eugene F. Fama, 2002.
"Testing Trade-Off and Pecking Order Predictions About Dividends and Debt,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(1), pages 1-33, March.
- Eugene F. Fama & Kenneth R. French, . "Testing Tradeoff and Pecking Order Predictions about Dividends and Debt.”," CRSP working papers 506, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Kajal Lahiri, 2005. "Analysis of Panel Data," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(4), pages 1093-1095.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:ijmfpp:v:6:y:2010:i:3:p:245-259. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Virginia Chapman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.