The Self-Defeating Pursuit of Stability
Minsky’s contention that stability is destabilising has profound implications for the conduct of stabilisation policy. The pursuit of price stability by central banks rests on the assumption that (price-level) stability begets financial stability. However, that hypothesis has been violated in recent years by the increasing incidence and severity of financial bubbles during the most remarkable period of prolonged economic stability in recent memory. Using an uncontroversial two-step estimation procedure, this paper demonstrates that periods of stability variously defined have led to increased corporate leveraging in the US since the 1970s. If one accepts that a firm’s ability to service its debts decreases as the ratio of debts to income increases, ceteris paribus, the results provide strong support for the Minskyan view.
Volume (Year): 72 (2009)
Issue (Month): 03 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: C/Donostia-San Sebastián, 1, 01010 Vitoria-Gasteiz|
Phone: + 34 945019038
Fax: + 34945019062
Web page: http://www.euskadi.net/economia
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Dpto. de Hacienda y Finanzas, Gobierno Vasco, C/Donostia-San Sebastián, 1, 01010 Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vercelli, Alessandro, 2000. "Structural financial instability and cyclical fluctuations," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-2), pages 139-156, July.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 2009.
"Monetary Policy Strategy,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262513374.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1963. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 394.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Sordi, Serena & Vercelli, Alessandro, 2006. "Financial fragility and economic fluctuations," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 61(4), pages 543-561, December.
- Taylor, John B., 1993. "Discretion versus policy rules in practice," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 195-214, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ekz:ekonoz:2009320. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Iñaki Treviño)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.