On the Necessity of Five Risk Measures
The banking systems that deal with risk management depend on underlying risk measures. Following the recommendation of the Basel II accord, most banks have developed internal models to determine their capital requirement. The Value at Risk measure plays an important role in computing this capital. In this paper we analyze in detail the errors produced by use of this measure. We then discuss other measures, pointing out their strengths and shortcomings. We give detailed examples, showing the need for five risk measures in order to compute a capital in relation to the risk to which the bank is exposed. In the end, we suggest using five different risk measures for computing capital requirements.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published, Annals of Finance, 2012, 8, 4, 533-552|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00721339|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/ |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- Rockafellar, R. Tyrrell & Uryasev, Stanislav, 2002. "Conditional value-at-risk for general loss distributions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1443-1471, July.
- René M. Stulz, 1996. "Rethinking Risk Management," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 9(3), pages 8-25.
- Cyril Caillault, Dominique Guégan, 2009.
"Forecasting VaR and Expected Shortfall Using Dynamical Systems: A Risk Management Strategy,"
Frontiers in Finance and Economics,
SKEMA Business School, vol. 6(1), pages 26-50, April.
- Cyril Caillault & Dominique Guegan, 2009. "Forecasting VaR and Expected Shortfall using Dynamical Systems: A Risk Management Strategy," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00375765, HAL.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1963. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 394.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:cesptp:halshs-00721339. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.