Race, Ethnicity, and Baseball Card Prices: A Replication, Correction, and Extension of Hewitt, MuÃ±oz, Oliver, and Regoli
Using a sample of all-time great baseball players, we investigate the effects of career performance, card quality and availability, and player race and ethnicity on baseball card prices. We estimate various specifications of the card price equations used by Hewitt, MuÃ±oz, Oliver, and Regoli (2005). We discover numerous discrepancies between the data reported in their article and their cited data sources. We replicate their results using their reported data and verify that their finding of no effect of race on card prices holds after corrections of data errors. Using their parsimonious metric of player performance, our extensions show that neither race nor Hispanic ethnicity has a significant effect on card prices and that our results are robust to alternative price and card availability measures. We also improve the ability of the Hewitt et al model to explain card prices when we use price and availability data that are more precisely matched to categories of card quality. This paper is accompanied by a supplement that provides a thorough guide to our statistical analyses.
Volume (Year): 9 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (703) 993-1151
Web page: http://econjwatch.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Halvorsen, Robert & Palmquist, Raymond, 1980. "The Interpretation of Dummy Variables in Semilogarithmic Equations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 474-75, June.
- Kahn, Lawrence M, 1991. "Customer Discrimination and Affirmative Action," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 29(3), pages 555-71, July.
- Jason A. Winfree, 2010. "Issues With Replicating Results in Sports Economics," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 11(1), pages 48-59, February.
- Nardinelli, Clark & Simon, Curtis, 1990. "Customer Racial Discrimination in the Market for Memorabilia: The Case of Baseball," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 105(3), pages 575-95, August.
- Andersen, Torben & La Croix, Sumner J, 1991. "Customer Racial Discrimination in Major League Baseball," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 29(4), pages 665-77, October.
- Lawrence M. Kahn, 2000. "The Sports Business as a Labor Market Laboratory," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(3), pages 75-94, Summer.
- Gabriel, Paul E & Johnson, Curtis & Stanton, Timothy J, 1995. "An Examination of Customer Racial Discrimination in the Market for Baseball Memorabilia," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68(2), pages 215-30, April.
- Paul Gabriel & Curtis Johnson & Timothy Stanton, 1999. "Customer racial discrimination for baseball memorabilia," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(11), pages 1331-1335.
- Ziliak, Stephen T. & McCloskey, Deirdre N., 2004. "Size matters: the standard error of regressions in the American Economic Review," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 527-546, November.
- Ling He & Joseph McGarrity, 2004. "Data errors in small data sets can determine empirical findings," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 32(2), pages 89-99, June.
- Edward M. Scahill, 2005. "A Reinvestigation of Racial Discrimination and Baseball Cards," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 31(4), pages 537-550, Fall.
- Stephen T. Ziliak & Deirdre N. McCloskey, 2004. "Size Matters: The Standard Error of Regressions in the American Economic Review," Econ Journal Watch, Econ Journal Watch, vol. 1(2), pages 331-358, August.
- Lawrence M. Kahn, 1991. "Discrimination in professional sports: A survey of the literature," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 44(3), pages 395-418, April.
- Deirdre N. McCloskey & Stephen T. Ziliak, 1996. "The Standard Error of Regressions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(1), pages 97-114, March.
- Becker, Gary S., 1971. "The Economics of Discrimination," University of Chicago Press Economics Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 2, number 9780226041162.
- Rodney Fort & Andrew Gill, 2000. "Race and Ethnicity Assessment in Baseball Card Markets," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 1(1), pages 21-38, February.
This item is featured on the following reading lists or Wikipedia pages:
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ejw:journl:v:9:y:2012:i:2:p:122-140. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jason Briggeman)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Jason Briggeman to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.