Measuring reputation in global markets—A comparison of reputation measures’ convergent and criterion validities
Corporate reputation has become one of the most important intangible assets for maintaining and enhancing firms’ competitiveness in the global marketplace. Researchers have shown considerable interest in measuring the corporate reputation construct, resulting in a lack of consensus on valid measurement approaches. Against this background, we discuss commonly used reputation measures from a conceptual as well as theoretical perspective, and empirically compare them in terms of convergent validity and criterion validity. By examining the measures’ psychometric properties, both theoretically and empirically, this study provides guidance for their reasonable application in business research and practice.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 48 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gudergan, Siegfried P. & Ringle, Christian M. & Wende, Sven & Will, Alexander, 2008. "Confirmatory tetrad analysis in PLS path modeling," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(12), pages 1238-1249, December.
- Marko Sarstedt & Christian Ringle, 2010. "Treating unobserved heterogeneity in PLS path modeling: a comparison of FIMIX-PLS with different data analysis strategies," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(8), pages 1299-1318.
- Ainuddin, R. Azimah & Beamish, Paul W. & Hulland, John S. & Rouse, Michael J., 2007. "Resource attributes and firm performance in international joint ventures," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 47-60, March.
- Coltman, Tim & Devinney, Timothy M. & Midgley, David F. & Venaik, Sunil, 2008. "Formative versus reflective measurement models: Two applications of formative measurement," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(12), pages 1250-1262, December.
- Bartikowski, Boris & Walsh, Gianfranco, 2011. "Investigating mediators between corporate reputation and customer citizenship behaviors," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 39-44, January.
- Carsten Hahn & Michael D. Johnson & Andreas Herrmann & Frank Huber, 2002. "Capturing Customer Heterogeneity Using A Finite Mixture Pls Approach," Schmalenbach Business Review (sbr), LMU Munich School of Management, vol. 54(3), pages 243-269, July.
- Marko Sarstedt & Jan-Michael Becker & Christian M. Ringle & Manfred Schwaiger, 2011. "Uncovering and Treating Unobserved Heterogeneity with FIMIX-PLS: Which Model Selection Criterion Provides an Appropriate Number of Segments?," Schmalenbach Business Review (sbr), LMU Munich School of Management, vol. 63(1), pages 34-62, January.
- Tymon Jr., Walter G. & Stumpf, Stephen A. & Doh, Jonathan P., 2010. "Exploring talent management in India: The neglected role of intrinsic rewards," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 109-121, April.
- Johnson, Devon & Grayson, Kent, 2005. "Cognitive and affective trust in service relationships," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(4), pages 500-507, April.
- Manfred Schwaiger, 2004. "Components And Parameters Of Corporate Reputation – An Empirical Study," Schmalenbach Business Review (sbr), LMU Munich School of Management, vol. 56(1), pages 46-71, January.
- Griffith, David A. & Ryans, John K., 1997. "Organizing global communications to minimize private spill-over damage to brand equity," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 189-202, October.
- Newell, Stephen J. & Goldsmith, Ronald E., 2001. "The development of a scale to measure perceived corporate credibility," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 235-247, June.
- Diamantopoulos, Adamantios & Riefler, Petra & Roth, Katharina P., 2008. "Advancing formative measurement models," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(12), pages 1203-1218, December.
- Jarvis, Cheryl Burke & MacKenzie, Scott B & Podsakoff, Philip M, 2003. " A Critical Review of Construct Indicators and Measurement Model Misspecification in Marketing and Consumer Research," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 30(2), pages 199-218, September.
- Parkhe, Arvind, 1998. "Building trust in international alliances," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 417-437, January.
- Walsh, Gianfranco & Beatty, Sharon E. & Shiu, Edward M.K., 2009. "The customer-based corporate reputation scale: Replication and short form," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(10), pages 924-930, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:worbus:v:48:y:2013:i:3:p:329-339. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.