Measuring reputation in global markets—A comparison of reputation measures’ convergent and criterion validities
Corporate reputation has become one of the most important intangible assets for maintaining and enhancing firms’ competitiveness in the global marketplace. Researchers have shown considerable interest in measuring the corporate reputation construct, resulting in a lack of consensus on valid measurement approaches. Against this background, we discuss commonly used reputation measures from a conceptual as well as theoretical perspective, and empirically compare them in terms of convergent validity and criterion validity. By examining the measures’ psychometric properties, both theoretically and empirically, this study provides guidance for their reasonable application in business research and practice.
Volume (Year): 48 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/bibliographic|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Newell, Stephen J. & Goldsmith, Ronald E., 2001. "The development of a scale to measure perceived corporate credibility," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 235-247, June.
- Parkhe, Arvind, 1998. "Building trust in international alliances," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 417-437, January.
- Gudergan, Siegfried P. & Ringle, Christian M. & Wende, Sven & Will, Alexander, 2008. "Confirmatory tetrad analysis in PLS path modeling," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(12), pages 1238-1249, December.
- Manfred Schwaiger, 2004. "Components And Parameters Of Corporate Reputation – An Empirical Study," Schmalenbach Business Review (sbr), LMU Munich School of Management, vol. 56(1), pages 46-71, January.
- Griffith, David A. & Ryans, John K., 1997. "Organizing global communications to minimize private spill-over damage to brand equity," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 189-202, October.
- Marko Sarstedt & Christian Ringle, 2010. "Treating unobserved heterogeneity in PLS path modeling: a comparison of FIMIX-PLS with different data analysis strategies," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(8), pages 1299-1318.
- Marko Sarstedt & Jan-Michael Becker & Christian M. Ringle & Manfred Schwaiger, 2011. "Uncovering and Treating Unobserved Heterogeneity with FIMIX-PLS: Which Model Selection Criterion Provides an Appropriate Number of Segments?," Schmalenbach Business Review (sbr), LMU Munich School of Management, vol. 63(1), pages 34-62, January.
- Carsten Hahn & Michael D. Johnson & Andreas Herrmann & Frank Huber, 2002. "Capturing Customer Heterogeneity Using A Finite Mixture Pls Approach," Schmalenbach Business Review (sbr), LMU Munich School of Management, vol. 54(3), pages 243-269, July.
- Bartikowski, Boris & Walsh, Gianfranco, 2011. "Investigating mediators between corporate reputation and customer citizenship behaviors," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 39-44, January.
- Diamantopoulos, Adamantios & Riefler, Petra & Roth, Katharina P., 2008.
"Advancing formative measurement models,"
Journal of Business Research,
Elsevier, vol. 61(12), pages 1203-1218, December.
- A. Diamantopoulos & P. Riefler & K.P. Roth, 2008. "Advancing formative measurement models," Post-Print hal-00787421, HAL.
- Walsh, Gianfranco & Beatty, Sharon E. & Shiu, Edward M.K., 2009. "The customer-based corporate reputation scale: Replication and short form," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(10), pages 924-930, October.
- Coltman, Tim & Devinney, Timothy M. & Midgley, David F. & Venaik, Sunil, 2008. "Formative versus reflective measurement models: Two applications of formative measurement," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(12), pages 1250-1262, December.
- Jarvis, Cheryl Burke & MacKenzie, Scott B & Podsakoff, Philip M, 2003. " A Critical Review of Construct Indicators and Measurement Model Misspecification in Marketing and Consumer Research," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 30(2), pages 199-218, September.
- Johnson, Devon & Grayson, Kent, 2005. "Cognitive and affective trust in service relationships," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(4), pages 500-507, April.
- Ainuddin, R. Azimah & Beamish, Paul W. & Hulland, John S. & Rouse, Michael J., 2007. "Resource attributes and firm performance in international joint ventures," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 47-60, March.
- Tymon Jr., Walter G. & Stumpf, Stephen A. & Doh, Jonathan P., 2010. "Exploring talent management in India: The neglected role of intrinsic rewards," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 109-121, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:worbus:v:48:y:2013:i:3:p:329-339. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.