Reflective and formative metrics of relationship value: A commentary essay
The Journal of Business Research special issue (61/12) covers controversy about formative versus reflective model specification. This essay comments on that special issue and illustrates specific points relating to the controversy by discussing recent studies of business-to-business relationship value, comparing their differing specifications, and noting that the variations of specification result from quite distinct conceptualizations. The essay makes the more substantive conclusion that the differences in conceptualization result from more than one underlying streams of research and that each stream is conceptually quite distinct and needs to follow its own direction for future research. The specific case of relationship value illustrates the broad necessity for researchers to consider in-depth how they conceptualize models. Other research areas have distinct research streams that lie behind different conceptualizations and specifications that researchers must nurture explicitly if useful ontology is to develop effectively.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diamantopoulos, Adamantios, 2008. "Formative indicators: Introduction to the special issue," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(12), pages 1201-1202, December.
- Coltman, Tim & Devinney, Timothy M. & Midgley, David F. & Venaik, Sunil, 2008. "Formative versus reflective measurement models: Two applications of formative measurement," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(12), pages 1250-1262, December.
- Bruhn, Manfred & Georgi, Dominik & Hadwich, Karsten, 2008. "Customer equity management as formative second-order construct," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(12), pages 1292-1301, December.
- Ruiz, David Martín & Gremler, Dwayne D. & Washburn, Judith H. & Carrión, Gabriel Cepeda, 2008. "Service value revisited: Specifying a higher-order, formative measure," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(12), pages 1278-1291, December.
- Cadogan, John W. & Souchon, Anne L. & Procter, David B., 2008. "The quality of market-oriented behaviors: Formative index construction," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(12), pages 1263-1277, December.
- Gudergan, Siegfried P. & Ringle, Christian M. & Wende, Sven & Will, Alexander, 2008. "Confirmatory tetrad analysis in PLS path modeling," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(12), pages 1238-1249, December.
- Jarvis, Cheryl Burke & MacKenzie, Scott B & Podsakoff, Philip M, 2003. " A Critical Review of Construct Indicators and Measurement Model Misspecification in Marketing and Consumer Research," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 30(2), pages 199-218, September.
- Franke, George R. & Preacher, Kristopher J. & Rigdon, Edward E., 2008. "Proportional structural effects of formative indicators," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(12), pages 1229-1237, December.
- Diamantopoulos, Adamantios & Riefler, Petra & Roth, Katharina P., 2008. "Advancing formative measurement models," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(12), pages 1203-1218, December.
- Wilcox, James B. & Howell, Roy D. & Breivik, Einar, 2008. "Questions about formative measurement," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(12), pages 1219-1228, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:62:y:2009:i:12:p:1370-1377. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.