Partial least squares structural equation modeling (PLS-SEM): A useful tool for family business researchers
Structural equation modeling (SEM) has become a mainstream method in many fields of business research, but its use in family business research remains in its infancy. This lag in SEM's application holds especially true for partial least squares SEM (PLS-SEM), an alternative to covariance-based SEM, which provides researchers with more flexibility in terms of data requirements, model complexity and relationship specification. This article draws attention to PLS-SEM as an opportunity to advance the development and testing of theory in family business research by providing a non-technical introduction into the basic concepts and issues of PLS-SEM, bearing the needs of potential users in mind. To this end, a systematic procedure for PLS-SEM results evaluation is presented and applied to an annotated example. The article also illustrates the analysis of mediating effects, which researchers are increasingly testing in their models.
Volume (Year): 5 (2014)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/719791/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/719791/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A. Diamantopoulos & P. Riefler & K.P. Roth, 2008.
"Advancing formative measurement models,"
- Carlos Benavides-Velasco & Cristina Quintana-García & Vanesa Guzmán-Parra, 2013. "Trends in family business research," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 41-57, January.
- Jarvis, Cheryl Burke & MacKenzie, Scott B & Podsakoff, Philip M, 2003. " A Critical Review of Construct Indicators and Measurement Model Misspecification in Marketing and Consumer Research," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 30(2), pages 199-218, September.
- Zellweger, Thomas M. & Eddleston, Kimberly A. & Kellermanns, Franz W., 2010. "Exploring the concept of familiness: Introducing family firm identity," Journal of Family Business Strategy, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 54-63, March.
- Marko Sarstedt & Christian Ringle, 2010. "Treating unobserved heterogeneity in PLS path modeling: a comparison of FIMIX-PLS with different data analysis strategies," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(8), pages 1299-1318.
- Ringle, Christian M. & Sarstedt, Marko & Schlittgen, Rainer & Taylor, Charles R., 2013. "PLS path modeling and evolutionary segmentation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(9), pages 1318-1324.
- Dijkstra, Theo, 1983. "Some comments on maximum likelihood and partial least squares methods," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1-2), pages 67-90.
- Marko Sarstedt & Jan-Michael Becker & Christian M. Ringle & Manfred Schwaiger, 2011. "Uncovering and Treating Unobserved Heterogeneity with FIMIX-PLS: Which Model Selection Criterion Provides an Appropriate Number of Segments?," Schmalenbach Business Review (sbr), LMU Munich School of Management, vol. 63(1), pages 34-62, January.
- Jahangir Yadollahi FARSI & Arash REZAZADEH & Amer Dehghan NAJMABADI, 2013. "Social Capital And Organizational Innovation: The Mediating Effect Of Entrepreneurial Orientation," Journal of Community Positive Practices, Catalactica NGO, issue 2, pages 22-40.
- K. Jöreskog, 1971. "Statistical analysis of sets of congeneric tests," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 36(2), pages 109-133, June.
- Lages, Carmen & Lages, Cristiana Raquel & Lages, Luis Filipe, 2005.
"The RELQUAL scale: a measure of relationship quality in export market ventures,"
Journal of Business Research,
Elsevier, vol. 58(8), pages 1040-1048, August.
- Lages, Carmen & Lages, Cristiana Raquel & Lages, Luis Filipe, 2004. "The relqual scale: a measure of relationship quality in export market ventures," FEUNL Working Paper Series wp447, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
- Binz, Claudia & Hair, Joseph F. & Pieper, Torsten M. & Baldauf, Artur, 2013. "Exploring the effect of distinct family firm reputation on consumers’ preferences," Journal of Family Business Strategy, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 3-11.
- Jörg Henseler, 2010. "On the convergence of the partial least squares path modeling algorithm," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 107-120, March.
- Gudergan, Siegfried P. & Ringle, Christian M. & Wende, Sven & Will, Alexander, 2008. "Confirmatory tetrad analysis in PLS path modeling," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(12), pages 1238-1249, December.
- Carsten Hahn & Michael D. Johnson & Andreas Herrmann & Frank Huber, 2002. "Capturing Customer Heterogeneity Using A Finite Mixture Pls Approach," Schmalenbach Business Review (sbr), LMU Munich School of Management, vol. 54(3), pages 243-269, July.
- Jörg Henseler & Marko Sarstedt, 2013. "Goodness-of-fit indices for partial least squares path modeling," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 565-580, April.
- William S. Schulze & Eric R. Gedajlovic, 2010. "Whither Family Business?," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(2), pages 191-204, 03.
- Segaro, Ethiopia L. & Larimo, Jorma & Jones, Marian V., 2014. "Internationalisation of family small and medium sized enterprises: The role of stewardship orientation, family commitment culture and top management team," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 381-395.
- Jan Inge Jenssen & Erlend Nybakk, 2009. "Inter-Organizational Innovation Promoters In Small, Knowledge-Intensive Firms," International Journal of Innovation Management (ijim), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 13(03), pages 441-466.
- Karl Jöreskog, 1978. "Structural analysis of covariance and correlation matrices," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 43(4), pages 443-477, December.
- Zellweger, Thomas M. & Kellermanns, Franz W. & Eddleston, Kimberly A. & Memili, Esra, 2012. "Building a family firm image: How family firms capitalize on their family ties," Journal of Family Business Strategy, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 239-250.
- Wright, Mike & Kellermanns, Franz W., 2011. "Family firms: A research agenda and publication guide," Journal of Family Business Strategy, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 187-198.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:fambus:v:5:y:2014:i:1:p:105-115. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.