The role of open innovation in emerging economies: Do companies profit from the scientific knowledge of others?
Our contribution lies in explaining why inter-firm variations in the strategic decision to actively seek and acquire external scientific knowledge impact not only financial performance but also the effects of firms’ own R&D. We further demonstrate that the performance implications of using external knowledge and technologies vary considerably depending on their source (domestic or foreign). Knowledge sourcing from domestic organizations has negligible consequences for financial performance and an adverse effect on firms’ own R&D. By contrast, knowledge acquisition from foreign countries results in superior performance and assists firms in unlocking their innovation potential.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 47 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kiessling, Timothy S. & Richey, R. Glenn & Meng, Juan & Dabic, Marina, 2009. "Exploring knowledge management to organizational performance outcomes in a transitional economy," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 421-433, October.
- Susan E Feinberg & Sumit K Majumdar, 2001. "Technology Spillovers from Foreign Direct Investment in the Indian Pharmaceutical Industry," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(3), pages 421-437, September.
- James D. Adams & Adam B. Jaffe, 1996.
"Bounding the Effects of R&D: An Investigation Using Matched Establishment-Firm Data,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 27(4), pages 700-721, Winter.
- James D. Adams & Adam B. Jaffe, 1996. "Bounding the Effects of R&D: An Investigation Using Matched Establishment-Firm Data," NBER Working Papers 5544, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zhuo (June) Cheng & Barrie R. Nault, 2007. "Industry Level Supplier-Driven IT Spillovers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 53(8), pages 1199-1216, August.
- Ariel Pakes & Mark Schankerman, 1984. "The Rate of Obsolescence of Patents, Research Gestation Lags, and the Private Rate of Return to Research Resources," NBER Chapters, in: R&D, Patents, and Productivity, pages 73-88 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ingemar Dierickx & Karel Cool, 1989. "Asset Stock Accumulation and Sustainability of Competitive Advantage," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(12), pages 1504-1511, December.
- McGahan, Anita M. & Silverman, Brian S., 2006. "Profiting from technological innovation by others: The effect of competitor patenting on firm value," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 1222-1242, October.
- Peter J Buckley & Martin J Carter, 2004. "A formal analysis of knowledge combination in multinational enterprises," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(5), pages 371-384, September.
- Asakawa, Kazuhiro & Lehrer, Mark, 2003. "Managing local knowledge assets globally: the role of regional innovation relays," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 31-42, February.
- Teece, David J., 1993.
"Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 112-113, April.
- Teece, David J., 1986. "Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 285-305, December.
- Arora, Ashish & Fosfuri, Andrea & Gambardella, Alfonso, 2001. "Markets for Technology and Their Implications for Corporate Strategy," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(2), pages 419-51, June.
- Ingemar Dierickx & Karel Cool, 1989. "Asset Stock Accumulation and the Sustainability of Competitive Advantage: Reply," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(12), pages 1514-1514, December.
- Cantwell, John & Piscitello, Lucia, 2002. "The location of technological activities of MNCs in European regions: The role of spillovers and local competencies," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 69-96.
- Kafouros, Mario I., 2008. "Economic returns to industrial research," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(8), pages 868-876, August.
- Adam B. Jaffe & Manuel Trajtenberg & Rebecca Henderson, 1992.
"Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations,"
NBER Working Papers
3993, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jaffe, Adam B & Trajtenberg, Manuel & Henderson, Rebecca, 1993. "Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 108(3), pages 577-98, August.
- Jaffe, A.B. & Trajtenberg, M., 1992. "Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations," Papers 14-92, Tel Aviv.
- Subodh Kumar & R. Robert Russell, 2002. "Technological Change, Technological Catch-up, and Capital Deepening: Relative Contributions to Growth and Convergence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(3), pages 527-548, June.
- Kafouros, Mario I. & Buckley, Peter J., 2008. "Under what conditions do firms benefit from the research efforts of other organizations?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 225-239, March.
- Cohen, Wesley M & Klepper, Steven, 1996. "Firm Size and the Nature of Innovation within Industries: The Case of Process and Product R&D," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(2), pages 232-43, May.
- Paul Almeida & Bruce Kogut, 1999. "Localization of Knowledge and the Mobility of Engineers in Regional Networks," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(7), pages 905-917, July.
- Christensen, Jens Froslev & Olesen, Michael Holm & Kjaer, Jonas Sorth, 2005. "The industrial dynamics of Open Innovation--Evidence from the transformation of consumer electronics," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 1533-1549, December.
- Masaaki Kotabe & Srini S Srinivasan & Preet S Aulakh, 2002. "Multinationality and Firm Performance: The Moderating Role of R&D and Marketing Capabilities," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 33(1), pages 79-97, March.
- Anne Marie Knott & Hart E. Posen & Brian Wu, 2009. "Spillover Asymmetry and Why It Matters," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 55(3), pages 373-388, March.
- Edwin Mansfield, 1988. "The Speed and Cost of Industrial Innovation in Japan and the United States: External vs. Internal Technology," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(10), pages 1157-1168, October.
- John A. Mathews, 2003. "Strategizing by firms in the presence of markets for resources," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(6), pages 1157-1193, December.
- Zvi Griliches, 1979.
"Issues in Assessing the Contribution of Research and Development to Productivity Growth,"
Bell Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 92-116, Spring.
- Zvi Griliches, 1998. "Issues in Assessing the Contribution of Research and Development to Productivity Growth," NBER Chapters, in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 17-45 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ulrich Lichtenthaler & Eckhard Lichtenthaler, 2009. "A Capability-Based Framework for Open Innovation: Complementing Absorptive Capacity," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(8), pages 1315-1338, December.
- Dahlander, Linus & Gann, David M., 2010. "How open is innovation?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 699-709, July.
- Lori Rosenkopf & Paul Almeida, 2003. "Overcoming Local Search Through Alliances and Mobility," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(6), pages 751-766, June.
- Liu, Xiaohui & Zou, Huan, 2008. "The impact of greenfield FDI and mergers and acquisitions on innovation in Chinese high-tech industries," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 352-364, July.
- Escribano, Alvaro & Fosfuri, Andrea & Tribó, Josep A., 2009. "Managing external knowledge flows: The moderating role of absorptive capacity," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 96-105, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:worbus:v:47:y:2012:i:3:p:362-370. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.