Broadening the concept of international entrepreneurship: 'Consumers as International Entrepreneurs'
We integrate theories from international business, entrepreneurship, innovation, marketing and network economics to develop a four-part typology of 'consumers as international entrepreneurs'. This broadens the concept of international entrepreneurship and complements the firm-level focus customary in research on international new ventures and entrepreneurs within those ventures. We develop our arguments in the context of the new economy and discuss areas for investigation in this emerging area of inquiry.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 45 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/bibliographic|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baldwin, Carliss & Hienerth, Christoph & von Hippel, Eric, 2006. "How user innovations become commercial products: A theoretical investigation and case study," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 1291-1313, November.
- Holcombe, Randall G, 2003. " The Origins of Entrepreneurial Opportunities," The Review of Austrian Economics, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 25-43, March.
- Eric von Hippel, 1986. "Lead Users: A Source of Novel Product Concepts," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(7), pages 791-805, July.
- Shaker A Zahra, 2005. "A theory of international new ventures: a decade of research," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 36(1), pages 20-28, January.
- Scott Morton, Fiona M & Podolny, Joel M, 2002. "Love or Money? The Effects of Owner Motivation in the California Wine Industry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(4), pages 431-56, December.
- Schiff Aaron, 2002. "The Economics of Open Source Software: A Survey of the Early Literature," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 1(1), pages 1-9, March.
- Godin, Benoit, 2004. "The New Economy: what the concept owes to the OECD," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 679-690, July.
- Katz, Michael L & Shapiro, Carl, 1985. "Network Externalities, Competition, and Compatibility," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(3), pages 424-40, June.
- Lakhani, Karim R. & von Hippel, Eric, 2003. "How open source software works: "free" user-to-user assistance," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 923-943, June.
- Marian V Jones & Nicole E Coviello, 2005. "Internationalisation: conceptualising an entrepreneurial process of behaviour in time," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 36(3), pages 284-303, May.
- Di Gregorio, Dante & Musteen, Martina & Thomas, Douglas E., 2008. "International new ventures: The cross-border nexus of individuals and opportunities," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 186-196, March.
- Leonidou, Leonidas C. & Katsikeas, Constantine S. & Samiee, Saeed, 2002. "Marketing strategy determinants of export performance: a meta-analysis," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 51-67, January.
- Zucchella, Antonella & Palamara, G. & Denicolai, S., 2007. "The drivers of the early internationalization of the firm," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 268-280, September.
- Israel M. Kirzner, 1997. "Entrepreneurial Discovery and the Competitive Market Process: An Austrian Approach," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 60-85, March.
- Weerawardena, Jay & Mort, Gillian Sullivan & Liesch, Peter W. & Knight, Gary, 2007. "Conceptualizing accelerated internationalization in the born global firm: A dynamic capabilities perspective," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 294-306, September.
- Firat, A Fuat & Venkatesh, Alladi, 1995. " Liberatory Postmodernism and the Reenchantment of Consumption," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(3), pages 239-67, December.
- Georg von Krogh & Eric von Hippel, 2006. "The Promise of Research on Open Source Software," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(7), pages 975-983, July.
- Nicole E Coviello, 2006. "The network dynamics of international new ventures," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(5), pages 713-731, September.
- Rialp, Alex & Rialp, Josep & Knight, Gary A., 2005. "The phenomenon of early internationalizing firms: what do we know after a decade (1993-2003) of scientific inquiry?," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 147-166, April.
- Benjamin M Oviatt & Patricia Phillips McDougall, 1994. "Toward a Theory of International New ventures," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(1), pages 45-64, March.
- von Hippel, Eric, 1976. "The dominant role of users in the scientific instrument innovation process," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 212-239, July.
- Coviello, Nicole E. & Jones, Marian V., 2004. "Methodological issues in international entrepreneurship research," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 485-508, July.
- John H Dunning, 1988. "The Eclectic Paradigm of International Production: A Restatement and Some Possible Extensions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(1), pages 1-31, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:worbus:v:45:y:2010:i:3:p:228-236. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.