Vertical relationships for the European railway industry
A key question in the reform process of Europe's railway industry is the decision whether to opt for a market structure that vertically integrates infrastructure and operations, or for one that separates them. In making this decision, knowledge of the relationship between operating costs and the infrastructure is fundamental. For this purpose a translogarithmic cost function is estimated, including the multi-product nature of railway companies and a measurement of the value of the infrastructure. The results show that costs deriving from freight transport and from the infrastructure are complementary, while those deriving from passenger transport and from the infrastructure are substitutes. In any case, the paper shows that if important decisions regarding infrastructure are going to be made, rail operating costs will be notably affected, and these effects must be appropriately evaluated.
Volume (Year): 8 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30473/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pedro Cantos S�nchez, 2000. "A subadditivity test for the cost function of the principal European railways," Transport Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(3), pages 275-290, January.
- Ivaldi, M. & McCullough, G., 1999.
"Density and Integration Effects on Class I U.S. Freight Railroads,"
99.526, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Ivaldi, M & McCullough, G J, 2001. "Density and Integration Effects on Class I U.S. Freight Railroads," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 161-82, March.
- Ivaldi, Marc & Mccullough, Gerard, 1999. "Density and Integration Effects on Class I U.S. Freight Railroads," IDEI Working Papers 93, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- De Borger, Bruno, 1992.
"Estimating a multiple-output generalized Box-Cox cost function : Cost structure and productivity growth in Belgian railroad operations, 1950-1986,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 1379-1398, October.
- DE BORGER, Bruno, 1989. "Estimating a multiple output generalized Box-Cox cost function: Cost structure and productivity growth in Belgian railroad operations, 1950-1986," SESO Working Papers 1989021, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Swanson, Joseph A, 1981. "Productivity Growth, Scale Economies, and Capacity Utilization in U.S. Railroads, 1955-74," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 994-1002, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:trapol:v:8:y:2001:i:2:p:77-83. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.