Location, accessibility and regional development: the appraisal of trans-European networks
The role of infrastructure in regional development is important but difficult to determine quantitatively. The trade off between accessibility, increasing returns and input prices complicates the distribution of gains from the completion of the Single European Market and the development of trans-European networks. This paper aims to achieve a more precise definition of regions' infrastructure inputs and accessibility, taking into account infrastructure which is both internal and external to the region and the specific needs of a region's industrial structure. The focus of the paper is on improving the appraisal framework for new transport infrastructure and concludes that a more specific policy of matching transport provision to regional needs is required.
Volume (Year): 2 (1995)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30473/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krugman, Paul, 1991.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(3), pages 483-99, June.
- David Alan Aschauer, 1990. "Why is infrastructure important?," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, vol. 34, pages 21-68.
- R.W. Vickerman, 1994. "Transport Infrastructure and Region Building in the European Community," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(1), pages 1-24, 03.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- M Chisholm, 1992. "Britain, the European Community, and the centralisation of production: theory and evidence, freight movements," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 24(4), pages 551-570, April.
- Barro, R.J. & Sala-I-Martin, X., 1991.
"Convergence Across States and Regions,"
629, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Robert J. Barro & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1991. "Convergence across States and Regions," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 22(1), pages 107-182.
- Barro, Robert J & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1992. "Convergence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(2), pages 223-51, April.
- Vickerman, R W, 1995. "The Regional Impacts of Trans-European Networks," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 237-54, May.
- Rietveld, Piet, 1989. "Infrastructure and Regional Development: A Survey of Multiregional Economic Models," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 255-74.
- Gramlich, Edward M, 1994. "Infrastructure Investment: A Review Essay," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(3), pages 1176-96, September.
- Alicia H. Munnell & Leah M. Cook, 1990.
"How does public infrastructure affect regional economic performance?,"
New England Economic Review,
Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Sep, pages 11-33.
- Alicia H. Munnell, 1990. "How does public infrastructure affect regional economic performance?," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, vol. 34, pages 69-112.
- Krugman, Paul & Venables, Anthony J, 1990. "Integration and the Competitiveness of Peripheral Industry," CEPR Discussion Papers 363, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Abramovitz, Moses, 1986. "Catching Up, Forging Ahead, and Falling Behind," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 46(02), pages 385-406, June.
- Vickerman, R W, 1989. "Measuring Changes in Regional Competitiveness: The Effects of International Infrastructure Investments," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 275-86.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:trapol:v:2:y:1995:i:4:p:225-234. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.