Socioeconomic Indicators for Analyzing Convergence: The Case of Greece: 1960–2004
The purpose of this paper is to use socioeconomic indicators for analyzing convergence among Greek regions since 1960. We use two alternative approaches. The first one is based on the coefficient of variation and the second one on quality of life rankings. We confirm the decline of regional inequalities in Greece, with the exclusion of the 1980s. Regions with increased tourist and trade activity are also regions with high quality of life. Border regions are usually the laggards of social and economic development.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 93 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/11135|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vicente Royuela & Jordi Suriñach, 2005. "Constituents of Quality of Life and Urban Size," Social Indicators Research- An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 74(3), pages 549-572, December.
- Romer, Paul M, 1986.
"Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-37, October.
- van der Ploeg, Frederick & Tang, Paul J G, 1992. "The Macroeconomics of Growth: An International Perspective," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(4), pages 15-28, Winter.
- Hope, Chris & Parker, Jonathan & Peake, Stephen, 1992. "A pilot environmental index for the UK in the 1980s," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 335-343, April.
- Barro, R.J. & Sala-I-Martin, X., 1991.
"Convergence Across States and Regions,"
629, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Robert J. Barro & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1991. "Convergence across States and Regions," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 22(1), pages 107-182.
- Barro, Robert J & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1992. "Convergence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(2), pages 223-51, April.
- Efthymios Tsionas, 2002. "Another Look at Regional Convergence in Greece," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(6), pages 603-609.
- Roback, Jennifer, 1982. "Wages, Rents, and the Quality of Life," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(6), pages 1257-78, December.
- Dimitris K. Christopoulos & Efthymios G. Tsionas, 2004. "Convergence and regional productivity differences: Evidence from Greek prefectures," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 38(3), pages 387-396, 09.
- Paul Krugman, 1990.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
NBER Working Papers
3275, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tsakloglou, Panos & Cholezas, Ioannis, 2005. "Education and Inequality in Greece," IZA Discussion Papers 1582, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gyourko, Joseph & Tracy, Joseph, 1991. "The Structure of Local Public Finance and the Quality of Life," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(4), pages 774-806, August.
- Hope, Chris & Parker, Jon, 1990. "Environmental information for all : The need of a monthly index," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 312-319, May.
- Leo Michelis & Athanasios Papadopoulos & Gregory Papanikos, 2004. "Regional convergence in Greece in the 1980s: an econometric investigation," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(8), pages 881-888.
- Roback, Jennifer, 1988. "Wages, Rents, and Amenities: Differences among Workers and Regions," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 26(1), pages 23-41, January.
- Blomquist, Glenn C & Berger, Mark C & Hoehn, John P, 1988. "New Estimates of Quality of Life in Urban Areas," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(1), pages 89-107, March.
- Baumol, William J, 1986. "Productivity Growth, Convergence, and Welfare: What the Long-run Data Show," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(5), pages 1072-85, December.
- S. Alexiadis & J. Tomkins, 2004. "Convergence clubs in the regions of Greece," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(6), pages 387-391.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:soinre:v:93:y:2009:i:2:p:315-330. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.