Incorporating equity considerations in transport infrastructure evaluation: Current practice and a proposed methodology
Interest has re-emerged on the issue of how to incorporate equity considerations in the appraisal of transport projects and large road infrastructure projects in particular. This paper offers a way forward in addressing some of the theoretical and practical concerns that have presented difficulties to date in incorporating equity concerns in the appraisal of such projects. Initially an overview of current practice within transport regarding the appraisal of equity considerations in Europe is offered based on an extensive literature review. Acknowledging the value of a framework approach, research towards introducing a theoretical framework is then presented. The proposed framework is based on the well established MCA Analytic Hierarchy Process and is also contrasted with the use of a CBA based approach. The framework outlined here offers an additional support tool to decision makers who will be able to differentiate choices based on their views on specific equity principles and equity types. It also holds the potential to become a valuable tool for evaluators as a result of the option to assess predefined equity perspectives of decision makers against both the project objectives and the estimated project impacts. This framework may also be of further value to evaluators outside transport.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schweigert, Francis J., 2007. "The priority of justice: A framework approach to ethics in program evaluation," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 394-399, November.
- Rietveld, Piet, 2006. "Pricing in transport; a multimodal perspective. An introduction," European Transport \ Trasporti Europei, ISTIEE, Institute for the Study of Transport within the European Economic Integration, issue 32, pages 1-4.
- Bristow, A. L. & Nellthorp, J., 2000. "Transport project appraisal in the European Union," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 51-60, January.
- Aschauer, David Alan, 1989.
"Is public expenditure productive?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 177-200, March.
- Lopez, Humberto, 2008. "The social discount rate : estimates for nine Latin American countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4639, The World Bank.
- Roger Vickerman, 2007. "Cost – benefit analysis and large-scale infrastructure projects: state of the art and challenges," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 34(4), pages 598-610, July.
- Mackie, Peter & Preston, John, 1998. "Twenty-one sources of error and bias in transport project appraisal," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 1-7, January.
- Bent Flyvbjerg, 2007.
"Policy and Planning for Large-Infrastructure Projects: Problems, Causes, Cures,"
Environment and Planning B,
, vol. 34(4), pages 578-597, August.
- Bent Flyvbjerg, 2007. "Policy and planning for large-infrastructure projects: problems, causes, cures," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 34(4), pages 578-597, July.
- Flyvbjerg, Bent, 2005. "Policy and planning for large infrastructure projects : problems, causes, cures," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3781, The World Bank.
- Bent Flyvbjerg, 2013. "Policy and Planning for Large Infrastructure Projects: Problems, Causes, Cures," Papers 1303.7400, arXiv.org.
- Vickerman, Roger, 1995. "Location, accessibility and regional development: the appraisal of trans-European networks," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 225-234, October.
- Maria Berrittella & A. Certa & M. Enea & P. Zito, 2007. "An Analytic Hierarchy Process for The Evaluation of Transport Policies to Reduce Climate Change Impacts," Working Papers 2007.12, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:epplan:v:32:y:2009:i:4:p:351-359. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.