Vessel and voyage determinants of tanker freight rates and contract times
The behavior of shipping freight (charter) rates and the timing of shipping contracts affect the transportation costs of charterers and the operating cash flows of shipowners. Although the literature has established macroeconomic determinants of shipping freight rates, there has been no systematic investigation of microeconomic determinants of freight rates and the delivery time of chartered ships (the laycan period) in the tanker market. Therefore, the aim of this paper is to investigate the importance of vessel and contract specific factors in the determination of tanker freight rates and laycan periods in shipping contracts. Individual tanker shipping contracts from January 2006 to March 2009 are used to estimate freight rates and laycan periods using a system of simultaneous equations. The estimation results suggest that the duration of the laycan period is an important determinant of the shipping freight rate and vice versa. Other determinants of freight rates include the vessel's hull type, fixture deadweight utilization ratio, vessel age, and voyage routes. Determinants of the laycan period include the former determinants as well as the Baltic Dirty Tanker Index and its volatility.
Volume (Year): 18 (2011)
Issue (Month): 5 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30473/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Risto Laulajainen, 2008. "Operative strategy in tanker (dirty) shipping," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(3), pages 313-339, June.
- Roar Adland & Kevin Cullinane, 2005. "A Time-Varying Risk Premium in the Term Structure of Bulk Shipping Freight Rates," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 39(2), pages 191-208, May.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Adland, Roar & Cullinane, Kevin, 2006. "The non-linear dynamics of spot freight rates in tanker markets," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 211-224, May.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014.
"A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Veenstra, Albert Willem & Franses, Philip Hans, 1997. "A co-integration approach to forecasting freight rates in the dry bulk shipping sector," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 447-458, November.
- Batchelor, Roy & Alizadeh, Amir & Visvikis, Ilias, 2007. "Forecasting spot and forward prices in the international freight market," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 101-114.
- Manolis G Kavussanos, 2003. "Time Varying Risks Among Segments of the Tanker Freight Markets," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 5(3), pages 227-250, September.
- Hausman, Jerry, 2015.
"Specification tests in econometrics,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 38(2), pages 112-134.
- Tamvakis, Michael N. & Thanopoulou, Helen A., 2000. "Does quality pay? The case of the dry bulk market," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 297-307, December.
- D. R. Glen & B. T. Martin, 1998. "Conditional modelling of tanker market risk using route specific freight rates," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(2), pages 117-128, January.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1993. "Estimation and Inference in Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195060119, May.
- Gerald G. Brown & Glenn W. Graves & David Ronen, 1987. "Scheduling Ocean Transportation of Crude Oil," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 33(3), pages 335-346, March.
- Jarque, Carlos M. & Bera, Anil K., 1980. "Efficient tests for normality, homoscedasticity and serial independence of regression residuals," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 255-259.
- D V Lyridis & P Zacharioudakis & P Mitrou & A Mylonas, 2004. "Forecasting Tanker Market Using Artificial Neural Networks," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 6(2), pages 93-108, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:trapol:v:18:y:2011:i:5:p:665-675. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.