Predictive power and unbiasedness of implied forward charter rates
This paper examines the efficiency and predictive power of implied forward shipping charter rates. In particular, we examine whether implied forward 6-month time-charter rates, which are derived through the difference between time-charters with different maturities based on the term structure model, are efficient and unbiased predictors of actual future time-charter rates. Using a dataset for the period January 1989 to June 2003, results of different statistical tests, including the cointegration approach, suggest that implied forward rates are in fact unbiased predictors of future time-charter rates in the dry bulk freight market. In addition, it is found that implied forward rates yield superior forecasts compared to alternative univariate and multivariate time series models. However, while the unbiasedness hypothesis is found to hold, on average, we find that chartering strategies based on simple trend-following trading rules in this cyclical market are able to generate economic profits even out-of-sample. This highlights how standard tests for unbiasedness do not always capture cyclical predictable components in the market behaviour. Copyright © 2007 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 26 (2007)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/2966|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-1054, July.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015.
"Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-276, March.
- Roar Adland & Siri Strandenes, 2006. "Market efficiency in the bulk freight market revisited," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 107-117, May.
- Steen Koekebakker * & Roar Os Ådland, 2004. "Modelling forward freight rate dynamics—empirical evidence from time charter rates," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(4), pages 319-335, October.
- Lo, Andrew W & MacKinlay, A Craig, 1990. "Data-Snooping Biases in Tests of Financial Asset Pricing Models," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(3), pages 431-467.
- Lo, Andrew W. (Andrew Wen-Chuan) & MacKinlay, Archie Craig, 1955-, 1989. "Data-snooping biases in tests of financial asset pricing models," Working papers 3020-89., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Andrew W. Lo & A. Craig MacKinlay, 1989. "Data-Snooping Biases in Tests of Financial Asset Pricing Models," NBER Working Papers 3001, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Ray Ball, 1995. "The Theory Of Stock Market Efficiency: Accomplishments And Limitations," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 8(1), pages 4-18.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-708, May.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Manolis G. Kavussanos & Amir H. Alizadeh-M, 2002. "The Expectations Hypothesis of the Term Structure and Risk Premiums in Dry Bulk Shipping Freight Markets," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 36(2), pages 267-304, May.
- Hakkio, Craig S. & Rush, Mark, 1989. "Market efficiency and cointegration: an application to the sterling and deutschemark exchange markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 75-88, March.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-1580, November.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Manolis G. Kavussanos & Nikos K. Nomikos, 1999. "The forward pricing function of the shipping freight futures market," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(3), pages 353-376, 05.
- Aror O S Ådland & Steen Koekebakker, 2004. "Market Efficiency in the Second-hand Market for Bulk Ships," Maritime Economics & Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan;International Association of Maritime Economists (IAME), vol. 6(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Roar Adland & Kevin Cullinane, 2005. "A Time-Varying Risk Premium in the Term Structure of Bulk Shipping Freight Rates," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 39(2), pages 191-208, May.
- Alizadeh, Amir H. & Nomikos, Nikos K., 2007. "Investment timing and trading strategies in the sale and purchase market for ships," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 126-143, January.
- Jensen, Michael C & Bennington, George A, 1970. "Random Walks and Technical Theories: Some Additional Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 469-482, May.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jof:jforec:v:26:y:2007:i:6:p:385-403. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.