What makes a freight market index? An empirical analysis of vessel fixtures in the offshore market
We estimate a hedonic pricing regression to generate a market index from heterogeneous fixture data in the Offshore Support Vessel (OSV) market. We consider a fixed effect framework where we control for vessel characteristics and contract-specific variables. Applied to a dataset of more than 30,000 transactions from 1989 to 2015, estimates show that around 70%-80% of variation in dayrates is explained by the time fixed effects used to estimate the market index. Spot freight rates increase with engine power and transport capacity. The volatile market index is seasonal and is positively correlated to both oil prices and production volumes.
|Date of creation:||25 Apr 2017|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-01513364|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adland, Roar & Alger, Harrison & Banyte, Justina & Jia, Haiying, 2017. "Does fuel efficiency pay? Empirical evidence from the drybulk timecharter market revisited," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 95(C), pages 1-12.
- Laurent Gobillon & François-Charles Wolff, 2016.
"Evaluating the Law of one Price Using Micro Panel Data: The Case of the French Fish Market,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 98(1), pages 134-153.
- Laurent Gobillon & Wolff Francois Charles, 2016. "Evaluating the Law of one Price Using Micro Panel Data: The Case of the French Fish Market," PSE - Labex "OSE-Ouvrir la Science Economique" halshs-01313672, HAL.
- Ringlund, Guro Bornes & Rosendahl, Knut Einar & Skjerpen, Terje, 2008. "Does oilrig activity react to oil price changes An empirical investigation," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 371-396, March.
- Guro Børnes Ringlund & Knut Einar Rosendahl & Terje Skjerpen, 2004. "Does oilrig activity react to oil price changes? An empirical investigation," Discussion Papers 372, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Nikos C. Papapostolou & Nikos K. Nomikos & Panos K. Pouliasis & Ioannis Kyriakou, 2014. "Investor Sentiment for Real Assets: The Case of Dry Bulk Shipping Market," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 18(4), pages 1507-1539.
- Tamvakis, Michael N. & Thanopoulou, Helen A., 2000. "Does quality pay? The case of the dry bulk market," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 297-307, December.
- Hausman, Jerry, 2015. "Specification tests in econometrics," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 38(2), pages 112-134.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1978. "Specification Tests in Econometrics," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1251-1271, November.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976. "Specification Tests in Econometrics," Working papers 185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Bjørnar Aas & Øyvind Halskau Sr & Stein W Wallace, 2009. "The role of supply vessels in offshore logistics," Maritime Economics & Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan;International Association of Maritime Economists (IAME), vol. 11(3), pages 302-325, September.
- Kavussanos, Manolis G. & Alizadeh-M, Amir H., 2001. "Seasonality patterns in dry bulk shipping spot and time charter freight rates," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 443-467, December.
- Adland, Roar & Jia, Haiying & Lu, Jing, 2008. "Price dynamics in the market for Liquid Petroleum Gas transport," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 818-828, May.
- Adland, Roar & Cariou, Pierre & Wolff, Francois-Charles, 2016. "The influence of charterers and owners on bulk shipping freight rates," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 86(C), pages 69-82.
- Alizadeh, Amir H. & Talley, Wayne K., 2011. "Vessel and voyage determinants of tanker freight rates and contract times," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 665-675, September.
- Kaiser, Mark J., 2015. "Offshore Service Vessel activity forecast and regulatory modeling in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico, 2012–2017," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 57(C), pages 132-146.
- Javier Poblacion, 2015. "The stochastic seasonal behavior of freight rate dynamics," Maritime Economics & Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan;International Association of Maritime Economists (IAME), vol. 17(2), pages 142-162, June.
- Köhn, Sebastian & Thanopoulou, Helen, 2011. "A gam assessment of quality premia in the dry bulk time-charter market," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(5), pages 709-721, September.
- Manolis G. Kavussanos & Nikos K. Nomikos, 2000. "Futures hedging when the structure of the underlying asset changes: The case of the BIFFEX contract," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(8), pages 775-801, 09.
- Adland, Roar & Cullinane, Kevin, 2006. "The non-linear dynamics of spot freight rates in tanker markets," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 211-224, May.
- Amir Alizadeh & Wayne Talley, 2011. "Microeconomic determinants of dry bulk shipping freight rates and contract times," Transportation, Springer, vol. 38(3), pages 561-579, May.
- Alexandridis, G. & Sahoo, S. & Visvikis, I., 2017. "Economic information transmissions and liquidity between shipping markets: New evidence from freight derivatives," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 98(C), pages 82-104.
- Veenstra, Albert Willem & Franses, Philip Hans, 1997. "A co-integration approach to forecasting freight rates in the dry bulk shipping sector," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 447-458, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:halshs-01513364. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.