Contribution to the study of PPP arrangements in airport development, management and operation
Following the liberalization wave in the airline sector, airports have been gradually taken out of the public sphere and open to the private initiative. This phenomenon is generally referred to as privatization, but not all the cases consist of, in fact, a full divestiture of assets. Although infrastructure management is undertaken by the private sector during a pre-defined period, usually 30 years or more, the property remains public or is transferred to the public domain after that period. This is a form of Public-Private Partnership (PPP) where two different models can be found: institutionalized PPP or a typical contractual regime, such as the concession arrangements. PPP options have been a "hot" topic over the last decade, but few studies can be found in the literature on the PPP projects development in airport systems, for example, as far as risk sharing is concerned. This paper looks at recent developments in airport "privatization", distinguishing privatizations from PPP arrangements, through a case study approach, and establishing a comparative analysis of different PPP models used for airport management. Some comments are made about the Portuguese model and the announcement of future privatization.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 18 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30473/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marques, Rui Cunha, 2011. "Together or separately? The efficiency and market structure of Portuguese airports," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 136-139.
- J. Luis Guasch, 2004. "Granting and Renegotiating Infrastructure Concessions : Doing it Right," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15024, November.
- Oum, Tae H. & Adler, Nicole & Yu, Chunyan, 2006. "Privatization, Corporatization, Ownership Forms and their Effects on the Performance of the World’s Major Airports," 47th Annual Transportation Research Forum, New York, New York, March 23-25, 2006 208026, Transportation Research Forum.
- Skamris, Mette K. & Flyvbjerg, Bent, 1997. "Inaccuracy of traffic forecasts and cost estimates on large transport projects," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 141-146, July.
- Betancor, Ofelia & Rendeiro, Robert, 1999. "Regulating privatized infrastructures and airport services," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2180, The World Bank.
- Phang, Sock-Yong, 2007. "Urban rail transit PPPs: Survey and risk assessment of recent strategies," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 214-231, May.
- Eduardo Engel & Ronald Fischer & Alexander Galetovic, 2007.
"The Basic Public Finance of Public-Private Partnerships,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1618, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jan 2011.
- Eduardo Engel & Ronald Fischer & Alexander Galetovic, 2013. "The Basic Public Finance Of Public–Private Partnerships," Journal of the European Economic Association, European Economic Association, vol. 11(1), pages 83-111, 02.
- Eduardo Engel & Ronald Fischer & Alexander Galetovic, 2007. "The Basic Public Finance of Public-Private Partnerships," Documentos de Trabajo 234, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Eduardo Engel & Ronald Fischer & Alexander Galetovic, 2007. "The Basic Public Finance of Public-Private Partnerships," NBER Working Papers 13284, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eduardo Engel & Ronald Fischer & Alexander Galetovic, 2007. "The Basic Public Finance of Public-Private Partnerships," Levine's Bibliography 843644000000000313, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Engel, Eduardo & Fischer, Ronald & Galetovic, Alexander, 2008. "The Basic Public Finance of Public-Private Partnerships," Working Papers 35, Yale University, Department of Economics.
- Eduardo Engel & Ronald Fischer & Alexander Galetovic, 2007. "The Basic Public Finance of Public-Private Partnerships," Working Papers 957, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Eduardo Engel & Ronald Fischer & Alexander Galetovic, 2007. "The Basic Public Finance of Public-Private Partnerships," Documentos de Trabajo 235, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Tahir Nisar, 2007. "Risk Management in Public–Private Partnership Contracts," Public Organization Review, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 1-19, March.
- JOhn Bennett & Elisabetta Iossa, 2005.
"Building and Managing Facilities for Public Services,"
The Centre for Market and Public Organisation
05/137, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Bennett, John & Iossa, Elisabetta, 2006. "Building and managing facilities for public services," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(10-11), pages 2143-2160, November.
- John Bennett & Elisabetta Iossa, 2002. "Building and Managing Facilities for Public Services," Economics and Finance Discussion Papers 02-08, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- John Bennett & Elisabetta Iossa, 2004. "Building and Managing Facilities for Public Services," Public Policy Discussion Papers 02-08, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Bennett, John & Elisabetta Iossa, 2002. "Building and Managing Facilities for Public Services," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 22, Royal Economic Society.
- Oum, Tae H. & Yan, Jia & Yu, Chunyan, 2009.
"Ownership Forms Matter for Airport Efficiency: A Stochastic Frontier Investigation of Worldwide Airports,"
50th Annual Transportation Research Forum, Portland, Oregon, March 16-18, 2009
207604, Transportation Research Forum.
- Oum, Tae H. & Yan, Jia & Yu, Chunyan, 2008. "Ownership forms matter for airport efficiency: A stochastic frontier investigation of worldwide airports," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 422-435, September.
- Lipovich, Gustavo AndrÃ©s, 2008. "The privatization of Argentine airports," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 8-15.
- Germà Bel & Xavier Fageda, 2009. "Privatization, Regulation And Airport Pricing: An Empirical Analysis For Europe," RSCAS Working Papers 2009/27, European University Institute.
- Ellis J. Juan, 1996. "Privatizing Airports-Options and Case Studies," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11621, The World Bank.
- Cristina Barbot, 2009. "Vertical Contracts between Airports and Airlines: is there a Trade-off between Welfare and Competitiveness?," CEF.UP Working Papers 0901, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Marques, Rui Cunha & Brochado, Ana, 2008. "Airport regulation in Europe: Is there need for a European Observatory?," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 163-172, May.
- Freathy, Paul, 2004. "The commercialisation of European airports: successful strategies in a decade of turbulence?," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 191-197.
- Good, David H & Roller, Lars-Hendrik & Sickles, Robin C, 1993. "U.S. Airline Deregulation: Implications for European Transport," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(419), pages 1028-41, July.
- J. Guasch & Jean-Jacques Laffont & Stéphane Straub, 2006. "Renegotiation of Concession Contracts: A Theoretical Approach," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 29(1), pages 55-73, September.
- Moles, Peter & Williams, Geoffrey, 1995. "Privately funded infrastructure in the UK: Participants' risk in the Skye Bridge project," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 129-134, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:trapol:v:18:y:2011:i:2:p:392-400. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.