Airport regulation in Europe: Is there need for a European Observatory?
This paper provides an overview of how the major airports are regulated in Europe. In order to eliminate the potential of airports to exercise market power and protect the public interest, it has become increasingly necessary to set a common regulatory framework. We intend to discuss the need for a single regulator in Europe to monitor or establish the quality of service and the charges practiced by the airports, to ensure cost-relatedness, transparency and non-discrimination. The existing regulatory approaches regarding aeronautical charges and their economic implications are also analyzed. We propose the creation of a European Observatory for this sector.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 15 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30473/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Müller, Jürgen & Kamp, Vanessa & Niemeier, Hans-Martin, 2005. "Can we learn from benchmarking studies of airports and where do we want to go from here?," Working Papers 28, Berlin School of Economics and Law, Institute of Management Berlin (IMB).
- Starkie, David, 2002. "Airport regulation and competition," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 63-72.
- Holt, Derek & Horncastle, Alan & Phillips, Jonathan, 2006. "Capital efficiency at airports and related services," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 251-261, December.
- Forsyth, Peter, 1997. "Price regulation of airports: principles with Australian applications," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 297-309, December.
- David Starkie, 2001. "Reforming UK Airport Regulation," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 35(1), pages 119-135, January.
- Stern, Jon & Holder, Stuart, 1999. "Regulatory governance: criteria for assessing the performance of regulatory systems: An application to infrastructure industries in the developing countries of Asia," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 33-50, March.
- Cabral, Luis M B & Riordan, Michael H, 1989. "Incentives for Cost Reduction under Price Cap Regulation," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 93-102, June.
- Marques, Rui Cunha, 2006. "A yardstick competition model for Portuguese water and sewerage services regulation," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 175-184, September.
- Achim Czerny, 2006. "Price-cap Regulation of Airports: Single-till Versus Dual-till," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 85-97, 07.
- Pels, Eric & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 2001. "Relative efficiency of European airports," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 183-192, July.
- Tae Hoon Oum & Anming Zhang & Yimin Zhang, 2004. "Alternative Forms of Economic Regulation and their Efficiency Implications for Airports," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 38(2), pages 217-246, May.
- Lu, Ching-Chyuan & Pagliari, Romano I., 2004. "Evaluating the potential impact of alternative airport pricing approaches on social welfare," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 1-17, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:trapol:v:15:y:2008:i:3:p:163-172. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.