A flexible spatially dependent discrete choice model: Formulation and application to teenagers' weekday recreational activity participation
This study proposes a simple and practical Composite Marginal Likelihood (CML) inference approach to estimate ordered-response discrete choice models with flexible copula-based spatial dependence structures across observational units. The approach is applicable to data sets of any size, provides standard error estimates for all parameters, and does not require any simulation machinery. The combined copula-CML approach proposed here should be appealing for general multivariate modeling contexts because it is simple and flexible, and is easy to implement The ability of the CML approach to recover the parameters of a spatially ordered process is evaluated using a simulation study, which clearly points to the effectiveness of the approach. In addition, the combined copula-CML approach is applied to study the daily episode frequency of teenagers' physically active and physically inactive recreational activity participation, a subject of considerable interest in the transportation, sociology, and adolescence development fields. The data for the analysis are drawn from the 2000 San Francisco Bay Area Survey. The results highlight the value of the copula approach that separates the univariate marginal distribution form from the multivariate dependence structure, as well as underscore the need to consider spatial effects in recreational activity participation. The variable effects indicate that parents' physical activity participation constitutes the most important factor influencing teenagers' physical activity participation levels. Thus, an effective way to increase active recreation among teenagers may be to direct physical activity benefit-related information and education campaigns toward parents, perhaps at special physical education sessions at the schools of teenagers.
Volume (Year): 44 (2010)
Issue (Month): 8-9 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/548/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antonio Páez, 2007. "Spatial perspectives on urban systems: developments and directions," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 1-6, April.
- Bhat, Chandra R., 2000. "A multi-level cross-classified model for discrete response variables," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 567-582, September.
- Bhat, Chandra R. & Eluru, Naveen, 2009. "A copula-based approach to accommodate residential self-selection effects in travel behavior modeling," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 43(7), pages 749-765, August.
- Cristiano Varin & Paolo Vidoni, 2009. "Pairwise Likelihood Inference for General State Space Models," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(1-3), pages 170-185.
- N. Rao Chaganty & Harry Joe, 2004. "Efficiency of generalized estimating equations for binary responses," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 66(4), pages 851-860.
- Cristiano Varin, 2008. "On composite marginal likelihoods," AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis, Springer;German Statistical Society, vol. 92(1), pages 1-28, February.
- Cristiano Varin & Paolo Vidoni, 2005. "A note on composite likelihood inference and model selection," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 92(3), pages 519-528, September.
- repec:sae:ecolab:v:16:y:2006:i:2:p:1-2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kurt J. Beron & James C. Murdoch & Wim P. M. Vijverberg, 2003. "Why Cooperate? Public Goods, Economic Power, and the Montreal Protocol," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(2), pages 286-297, May.
- Pinkse, Joris & Slade, Margaret E., 1998. "Contracting in space: An application of spatial statistics to discrete-choice models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 125-154, July.
- Robin Henderson, 2003. "A serially correlated gamma frailty model for longitudinal count data," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 90(2), pages 355-366, June.
- Rachel Copperman & Chandra Bhat, 2007. "An analysis of the determinants of children’s weekend physical activity participation," Transportation, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 67-87, January.
- Trivedi, Pravin K. & Zimmer, David M., 2007. "Copula Modeling: An Introduction for Practitioners," Foundations and Trends(R) in Econometrics, now publishers, vol. 1(1), pages 1-111, April.
- Kjersti Aas & Daniel Berg, 2009. "Models for construction of multivariate dependence - a comparison study," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(7-8), pages 639-659.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & S. Statev, 2006. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00260898, HAL.
- Bhat, Chandra R. & Guo, Jessica Y., 2007. "A comprehensive analysis of built environment characteristics on household residential choice and auto ownership levels," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 41(5), pages 506-526, June.
- Guan, Yongtao, 2006. "A Composite Likelihood Approach in Fitting Spatial Point Process Models," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 1502-1512, December.
- Ipek Sener & Rachel Copperman & Ram Pendyala & Chandra Bhat, 2008. "An analysis of children’s leisure activity engagement: examining the day of week, location, physical activity level, and fixity dimensions," Transportation, Springer, vol. 35(5), pages 673-696, August.
- John J. Hanfelt, 2004. "Composite conditional likelihood for sparse clustered data," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 66(1), pages 259-273.
- Bhat, Chandra R., 2003. "Simulation estimation of mixed discrete choice models using randomized and scrambled Halton sequences," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 837-855, November.
- Varin, Cristiano & Vidoni, Paolo, 2006. "Pairwise likelihood inference for ordinal categorical time series," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 2365-2373, December.
- Varin, Cristiano & Host, Gudmund & Skare, Oivind, 2005. "Pairwise likelihood inference in spatial generalized linear mixed models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 1173-1191, June.
- de Leon, A.R., 2005. "Pairwise likelihood approach to grouped continuous model and its extension," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 49-57, November.
- Chandra Bhat & Ipek Sener, 2009. "A copula-based closed-form binary logit choice model for accommodating spatial correlation across observational units," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 243-272, September.
- Nils Lid Hjort & Cristiano Varin, 2008. "ML, PL, QL in Markov Chain Models," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 35(1), pages 64-82.
- A S Fotheringham, 1983. "Some theoretical aspects of destination choice and their relevance to production-constrained gravity models," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 15(8), pages 1121-1132, August.
- Caragea, Petruta C. & Smith, Richard L., 2007. "Asymptotic properties of computationally efficient alternative estimators for a class of multivariate normal models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 98(7), pages 1417-1440, August.
- Bhat, Chandra R. & Srinivasan, Sivaramakrishnan & Sen, Sudeshna, 2006. "A joint model for the perfect and imperfect substitute goods case: Application to activity time-use decisions," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 40(10), pages 827-850, December.
- A S Fotheringham, 1983. "Some Theoretical Aspects of Destination Choice and Their Relevance to Production-Constrained Gravity Models," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 15(8), pages 1121-1132, August.
- D. R. Cox, 2004. "A note on pseudolikelihood constructed from marginal densities," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 91(3), pages 729-737, September.
- Bhat, Chandra R., 2008. "The multiple discrete-continuous extreme value (MDCEV) model: Role of utility function parameters, identification considerations, and model extensions," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 274-303, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transb:v:44:y::i:8-9:p:903-921. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.