Does uncertainty make cost-benefit analyses pointless?
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version below or search for a different version of it.
Other versions of this item:
- Thureson, Disa & Eliasson, Jonas, 2016. "Does uncertainty make cost-benefit analyses pointless?," Working papers in Transport Economics 2016:8, CTS - Centre for Transport Studies Stockholm (KTH and VTI).
References listed on IDEAS
- Jonas Eliasson & Maria Börjesson & James Odeck & Morten Welde, 2015.
"Does Benefit-Cost Efficiency Influence Transport Investment Decisions?,"
Journal of Transport Economics and Policy,
University of Bath, vol. 49(3), pages 377-396, July.
- Eliasson, Jonas & Börjesson, Maria & Odeck, James & Welde, Morten, 2014. "Does benefit/cost-efficiency influence transport investment decisions?," Working papers in Transport Economics 2014:6, CTS - Centre for Transport Studies Stockholm (KTH and VTI).
- Mackie, Peter & Worsley, Tom & Eliasson, Jonas, 2014. "Transport appraisal revisited," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 3-18.
- Cantarelli, C.C. & Molin, E.J.E. & van Wee, B. & Flyvbjerg, B., 2012.
"Characteristics of cost overruns for Dutch transport infrastructure projects and the importance of the decision to build and project phases,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(C), pages 49-56.
- Chantal C. Cantarelli & Eric J. E. Molin & Bert van Wee & Bent Flyvbjerg, 2013. "Characteristics of Cost Overruns for Dutch Transport Infrastructure Projects and the Importance of the Decision to Build and Project Phases," Papers 1307.2178, arXiv.org, revised Jan 2015.
- Eliasson, Jonas & Fosgerau, Mogens, 2013.
"Cost overruns and demand shortfalls – Deception or selection?,"
Transportation Research Part B: Methodological,
Elsevier, vol. 57(C), pages 105-113.
- Eliasson, Jonas & Fosgerau, Mogens, 2013. "Cost overruns and demand shortfalls – deception or selection?," MPRA Paper 49744, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Harberger, Arnold C, 1978.
"On the Use of Distributional Weights in Social Cost-Benefit Analysis,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(2), pages 87-120, April.
- Arnold C. Harberger, 1978. "On the Use of Distributional Weights in Social Cost-Benefit Analysis," NBER Chapters,in: Research in Taxation, pages 87-120 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bent Flyvbjerg, 2009.
"Survival of the unfittest: why the worst infrastructure gets built--and what we can do about it,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 25(3), pages 344-367, Autumn.
- Bent Flyvbjerg, 2013. "Survival of the Unfittest: Why the Worst Infrastructure Gets Built, And What We Can Do about It," Papers 1303.6571, arXiv.org.
- Gerard Jong & Andrew Daly & Marits Pieters & Stephen Miller & Ronald Plasmeijer & Frank Hofman, 2007. "Uncertainty in traffic forecasts: literature review and new results for The Netherlands," Transportation, Springer, vol. 34(4), pages 375-395, July.
- Robin Boadway, 2006. "Principles of Cost-Benefit Analysis," Public Policy Review, Policy Research Institute, Ministry of Finance Japan, vol. 2(1), pages 1-44, January.
- Mouter, Niek & Annema, Jan Anne & Wee, Bert van, 2013. "Attitudes towards the role of Cost–Benefit Analysis in the decision-making process for spatial-infrastructure projects: A Dutch case study," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 58(C), pages 1-14.
- Holz-Rau, Christian & Scheiner, Joachim, 2011. "Safety and travel time in cost-benefit analysis: A sensitivity analysis for North Rhine-Westphalia," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 336-346, March.
- Lundberg, Mattias & Jenpanitsub, Anchalee & Pyddoke, Roger, 2011. "Cost overruns in Swedish transport projects," Working papers in Transport Economics 2011:11, CTS - Centre for Transport Studies Stockholm (KTH and VTI).
- Nyborg, Karine, 1998.
"Some Norwegian Politicians' Use of Cost-Benefit Analysis,"
Springer, vol. 95(3-4), pages 381-401, June.
- Karine Nyborg, 1996. "Some Norwegian Politicians' Use of Cost-Benefit Analysis," Discussion Papers 169, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Fridstrom, Lasse & Elvik, Rune, 1997. "The Barely Revealed Preference behind Road Investment Priorities," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 92(1-2), pages 145-168, July.
- Maria Börjesson & Jonas Eliasson & Mattias Lundberg, 2014. "Is CBA Ranking of Transport Investments Robust?," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 48(2), pages 189-204, May.
- Morten Skou Nicolaisen & Patrick Arthur Driscoll, 2014. "Ex-Post Evaluations of Demand Forecast Accuracy: A Literature Review," Transport Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(4), pages 540-557, July.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Andersson, Henrik & Hultkrantz, Lars & Lindberg, Gunnar & Nilsson, Jan-Eric, 2017. "The role of economic analysis for investment priorities in Sweden’s transport sector," Working papers in Transport Economics 2017:12, CTS - Centre for Transport Studies Stockholm (KTH and VTI), revised 23 May 2018.
- Jussila Hammes , Johanna, 2017. "The impact of career concerns and cognitive dissonance on bureaucrats’ use of cost-benefit analysis," Working papers in Transport Economics 2017:5, CTS - Centre for Transport Studies Stockholm (KTH and VTI).
More about this item
KeywordsCost-benefit analysis; Infrastructure investments; Uncertainty; Robustness;
- R42 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Transportation Economics - - - Government and Private Investment Analysis; Road Maintenance; Transportation Planning
- R48 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Transportation Economics - - - Government Pricing and Policy
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transa:v:92:y:2016:i:c:p:195-205. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.