Who switches to hybrids? A study of a fuel conversion program in Colombia
Air pollution from mobile sources is an important environmental problem in larger cities. In 2001, a program was implemented to encourage the use of natural gas in vehicles in the Aburrá Valley in Colombia, with incentives to convert small cars from gasoline and diesel to hybrid engines with natural gas, most notably a cash subsidy. Using a survey administered to both commercial and private car owners we study the determinants of conversion under this fuel conversion program. We thus obtain information about the reasons for adoption of new technologies in vehicles. This allows us to discuss the possible outcomes of this type of policy. Results show that a large part of owners who switched would have done it anyway without the subsidy. Based on the findings, commercial vehicles are most likely to be converted to natural gas vehicles.
Volume (Year): 43 (2009)
Issue (Month): 5 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kojima, M., 2001. "Breathing Clean. Considering the Switch to Natural Gas Buses," Papers 516, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Small, Kenneth A. & Kazimi, Camilla, 1995.
"On the Costs of Air Pollution from Motor Vehicles,"
University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers
qt0sx81025, University of California Transportation Center.
- Small, K.A. & Kazimi, C., 1994. "On the Costs of Air Pollution from Motor Vehicules," Papers 94-95-3, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
- John K. Dagsvik & Dag G. Wetterwald & Rolf Aaberge, 1996.
"Potential Demand for Alternative Fuel Vehicles,"
165, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Janssen, Arthur & Lienin, Stephan F. & Gassmann, Fritz & Wokaun, Alexander, 2006. "Model aided policy development for the market penetration of natural gas vehicles in Switzerland," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 316-333, May.
- Ahn, Jiwoon & Jeong, Gicheol & Kim, Yeonbae, 2008. "A forecast of household ownership and use of alternative fuel vehicles: A multiple discrete-continuous choice approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 2091-2104, September.
- Rouwendal, Jan & de Vries, Frans, 1999. "The taxation of drivers and the choice of car fuel type," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 17-35, February.
- Yeh, Sonia, 2007.
"An empirical analysis on the adoption of alternative fuel vehicles:The case of natural gas vehicles,"
Institute of Transportation Studies, Working Paper Series
qt92h7g194, Institute of Transportation Studies, UC Davis.
- Yeh, Sonia, 2007. "An empirical analysis on the adoption of alternative fuel vehicles: The case of natural gas vehicles," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 5865-5875, November.
- Yeh, Sonia, 2007. "An empirical analysis on the adoption of alternative fuel vehicles:The case of natural gas vehicles," Institute of Transportation Studies, Working Paper Series qt2k09h787, Institute of Transportation Studies, UC Davis.
- Cavendish, William & Anderson, Dennis, 1994. "Efficiency and Substitution in Pollution Abatement," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(0), pages 774-99, Supplemen.
- Greene, David L. & Patterson, Philip D. & Singh, Margaret & Li, Jia, 2005. "Feebates, rebates and gas-guzzler taxes: a study of incentives for increased fuel economy," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 757-775, April.
- Stoneman, Paul & Battisti, Giuliana, 2000. "The Role of Regulation, Fiscal Incentives and Changes in Tastes in the Diffusion of Unleaded Petrol," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 52(2), pages 326-56, April.
- Ida Ferrara, 2007. "Automobile quality choice under pollution control regulation," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 38(3), pages 353-372, November.
- Parker, R. Stephen & Fletchall, Heather & Pettijohn, Charles E., 1997. "Truck operators' perspectives on use of alternative fuels," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 73-78, March.
- Kazimi, Camilla, 1997. "Evaluating the Environmental Impact of Alternative-Fuel Vehicles," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 163-185, June.
- Fullerton Don & West Sarah E, 2010.
"Tax and Subsidy Combinations for the Control of Car Pollution,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 10(1), pages 1-33, February.
- Don Fullerton & Sarah West, 2000. "Tax and Subsidy Combinations for the Control of Car Pollution," NBER Working Papers 7774, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transa:v:43:y:2009:i:5:p:572-579. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.